Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Children's Classics -- Field Trip

I have to admit it. I checked out Miffy at the Museum with an ulterior motive. I would love to be able to take the kids to one of the art museums in New York City this summer, but taking an active five-year-old boy to an art museum? I'm not sure if that's going to happen. However, Miffy at the Museum definitely planted the idea in Kyle's head. After we had read it a time or two, he said, "Can we go to a museum?"

By the way, I'm not the only parent who feels that way. Even Miffy's own Donna Reed-esque pearl-wearing bunny mom employs that strategy. The book opens with her saying, "I'm going to the art museum to see beautiful colorful works of art. Who'd like to come with me?" V-necked sweater-vested Dad says, "I would, but Miffy is much too small." And as you know, the reverse psychology is all it takes to convince Miffy that an art museum is where she wants to spend her day!

I liked this book a lot. We've seen some of the Miffy cartoons on TV, and Kyle likes them well enough (yes, Carrie -- there's Miffy on TV!), but this book with the bold sparse text and bright simple pictures is a great learning tool.

I had hoped that after reading Pieces of Georgia (linked to my review), Amanda my tween would have an increased interest in seeing more of the art by the artists profiled within that free verse novel, but it doesn't seem to have worked that way.

Find out what other books inspired some field trips at 5 Minutes for Books Children's Classics carnival!

5 comments:

Carrie said...

;D I've never even heard of Miffy! =D (Somehow I don't think that's all a surprising statement to you!) haha!!

Well, I'm further enlightened.

stephanie@{Olive Tree} said...

Fun book it looks like. I'll have to check on it for my girls. We love the James Mayhew books about a girl named Katie who has adventures in the museums.

Thanks for sharing this one. :)

morninglight mama said...

Oh, has your daughter read The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler? I LOVED that book as a kidm and it sparked an interest for me in museums. Living so close to DC means easy and free museum exploring for our little ones!

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

I haven't heard of Miffy either! I guess I need to find out more about her!

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

Miffy is new to me also. I'll have to put this on my list. :)