Thursday, July 16, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince


The fact that I just finished this book, the 6th in the Harry Potter franchise, the same week that the movie came out makes me feel somewhat part of the whole fad, but it's pretty much just coincidence. I definitely came late to the Harry Potter party.

I've been reading the series slowly since I picked the first one up (maybe in early 2005?). I read it because I had several friends who had enjoyed them -- as adults -- and partly to decide if I thought Amanda should read them when the time came. I honestly didn't love the first one, but I had bought the first two books, so I soldiered on, and by the time I finished the second one, I was hooked.

A year or so passed before I read the third one, and then perhaps another 6 months or so before I read the 4th. Then a year went by, and I hadn't read the 5th one, but by then Amanda had read the first 4 and wanted to proceed, so last summer I read the 5th. I owned the 6th as well, but waited until this summer to read it.

See, I was never in a rush, because the trade paperback of the 7th book wasn't out, and so I knew that I had time to complete the series my way.

I want to say that I love Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince like I've loved no other in the series. I don't know if it's my favorite (I really loved the story in the 4th, the Goblet of Fire, or should I say I remember loving it since it's been a couple of years since I've read it, and I haven't seen the movie).

It made me realize how much I love these characters, this realm. It made me hunger for more, and want to go back and relive the past. Like my beloved Mitford series by Jan Karon, that's how I knew that this series would be forever a part of my bookish self.

So having just finished that book, when I saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Paperback out on the shelves at a grocery store for less than half price (not even knowing it was out), I snatched it up. I'm sure I will read it before the summer's out.

When did you know that you had fallen for Harry?

*****

Guest reviewer Kipi was one of the throngs who saw the movie on midnight 7/15. Her review of the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince movie is up on 5 Minutes for Books today. You can also enter to win a copy of the A&E Biography Harry Potter's Kids, so click over before 7/22.

*****

Other posts that I've written about Harry Potter:

We're Wild About Harry
Previewing Harry for Amanda
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone movie review
(after watching for 1st time 8/2008)
Is The Hunger Games the Next Harry Potter?

4 comments:

Martha said...

I agree that the second book made me fall in love with the series. The sixth book is an exciting one and Hannah says the movie is great. We will see it this weekend. I am glad you are getting ready to read the last. The boys and I are already on the
7th chapter! You will love it too!

morninglight mama said...

Oh, how I adore HP! I haven't seen more than a few bits and pieces of the first two movies here and there. JAM has read the first two books, and we have all the movies that are on DVD, but we've only let him get through 1 & 2, so far. I'm not sure about the movies for myself, though... I'm gonna bet you know why! :)

Shauna said...

Although the first book is the weakest of the series, it still hooked me on the characters and the story. It was torture for me to have to wait for a year or two to read the next installment, and I loved reading the books back to back earlier this year.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

I've loved the HP books from page 1, I think, but I have a particular fondness for books 4, 6, & 7. I'm working my way up to a re-read of the books (along with watching the movies as I go)...not sure when I'll start, but it's on my agenda.