Thursday, July 02, 2009

In Dixie

We crossed over the Mason-Dixon line, had dinner, and checked into our hotel. Stephanie (fellow Southern blogger located in the NE), told me to eat lots of good southern food, and so far I have. I even had some catfish off of Ryan's buffet in her honor.

In spite of being totally ready about 45 minutes early, I left 15 minutes late. I realized that in spite of the fact that I had run the dishwasher and had my minions children unload it that morning, that I should put the dishes that someone manifested themselves in there and run it, since no one was going to be home for ten days or so.

Then, I had a little New England driving disaster while I was on the way to pick up Terry at an unfamiliar train station in NJ (he took the train out so that we could deal with bridge traffic etc, and just get on the way). Let me say that I grew up and learned to drive in Houston, Texas. Houston is the fourth largest city in the U.S. and is geographically sprawling with freeways intersecting other freeways and tollways -- known as a spaghetti bowl. Other than the fact that I have no natural sense of direction, I had no problem getting around in the big city. New England highways and byways are a totally different matter.

I ended up on the New York State Thruway and when I realized it, I was in the "thru" section -- so I had to drive 15 miles (and then backtrack the same 15 miles) to get back on course. My husband is lucky to be married to me. I offer him personality enhancement programs (how to deal with irresponsible wives in a kind gentle manner) -- no charge. It just comes with the package.

As for the actual trip -- so far, so good. Amanda read and listened to an audiobook. She also was very nice to her little brother and played with him, and encouraged him to read the new books I bought him (thanks Dawn) , I read and played a handheld Tetris game, Kyle listened for hours and hours to his new Barenaked Ladies CD. Thanks again, Dawn! for the recommendation. Seriously, kids' music is a good good thing in our car. Listening via headphones that plug right into the back seat is even better! That's the best $10 I ever spent. Actually, I bought him some kid headphones too, which actually fit and don't cause whining and crying and fussing. That's the best decision (so far).

I bought some new computer games for my laptop, so I will probably bust those out for our 12 hour trip tomorrow.

The whole family is asleep now, so I guess I better join them.

5 comments:

morninglight mama said...

Woo-hoo!! So glad he's enjoying the goodies, and seriously, I listen to parts of that CD when the kids aren't even around because some of the songs are just that good! :) (Says this ridiculously crazy fan.)

Glad your trip is going well-- have a blast!

foodieplus4 said...

Hey! We miss you already! Glad you had a decent start. I hope you have a good day of travel ahead and enjoy the fourth!
-L

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

Ahh.. Ryan's. :) Yeah for the catfish! Funny thing - we went to Cracker Barrel last night for supper and I had catfish there. Not as good as a catfish place down South but it'll do.

I've driven in Houston and several other large cities down South. NOTHING compares to driving in NE. Whoever designs roads around here must make it complicated on purpose!! :)

Have fun!

Lisa writes... said...

Did you get any sweet tea?

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Oh, sorry about the driving mishap. I am not a city driver. At all. I avoid it every chance I get.