Thursday, July 02, 2009

Now is when I start to stress out

The laundry's done. We're (mostly) packed. I have all of my special activities packed up and ready to go, I even implemented another idea I had to make traveling fun -- I'm parsing it out. I've prepared 3 different bags for both kids with different books, CDs, and games in them. When they get too many new and exciting things, everything loses it's shine. Hopefully this will work.

I do fine traveling with my kids. I really do. Whether it's a long car trip as a family or me flying to visit family with just the kids -- no matter their ages -- it doesn't scare me. In fact, I told a friend today that I'm actually a little excited about it. And Amanda thinks it's all "going to be great" as well.

And in all of my obsessing about this very long journey, I remember that we've done it before! Five years ago when we moved here, we drove. Amanda was about 9 months older than Kyle is right now. And we were fine (If Kyle could remember that trip when he was three months old, he would NOT have told you everything was fine. Even though he was a newborn, and all newborns do is sit in a carseat-ish type thing and eat or sleep, he was miserable! He showed his spirit even then by crying an angry cry when he had had enough).

But it's now -- in the last night and the final morning before we leave, that I begin to feel anxious. I start to worry, "Did I pack everything? Will we be able to leave on time? Have I taken care of everything that needs to be done here at home before I leave?

So, while I am quite irritable in the hours until we leave, once we are on the road, I'm totally calm. It's all behind me. I can't change anything now.

And I've learned that there's very little that I could forget that's irreplacable. When we were about an hour into our drive to spend Christmas with my in-laws in Virigina one year, it hit me -- very clearly -- that I had forgotten pajamas and underwear for myself. A peek into my bag once we got there confirmed my suspicions. A trip to Kmart first thing that next morning, and all was solved.

I'll still be around the blog, though probably not as frequently, and of course there will still be lots of new reviews going up at 5 Minutes for Books.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

I'll miss you! =D But HAVE A BLAST!

Carrie said...

p.s. and try not to sweat to death in Texas, k?

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

The first half hour of any trip is spent with me mentally going through every room of the house and bag in the car double checking everything. I always have a feeling like I forgot something. :) How funny that you forgot YOUR clothes!! Isn't that typical for us moms? :)

Have fun! And I agree with Carrie - try not to sweat too much. But if you could send some of the sunshine and warm weather back to New England, I'd really appreciate it!

Dad said...

I'm sorry; you get the "while I am quite irritable in the hours until we leave, once we are on the road, I'm totally calm". I am exactly the same.
LOVE
Oh, GOT MILK? I have the COFFEE....for you!

morninglight mama said...

Have a WONDERFUL trip!!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

I'm nuts about worrying about forgetting something. And Chad always reminds me that we will never be too terribly far from a Target or Wal-Mart or some other place that can easily provide the essentials.

I'm so glad you're excited -- I know you guys will have a wonderful time!