Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Religion Saves

I've listened to Pastor Mark Driscoll's sermons from Mars Hill Church in Seattle off and on for quite some time. I haven't been downloading them recently, because just like with a favorite author, I tend to start feeling like "been there, done that." However, I've been thinking about revisiting his podcasts, because I enjoy the way he teaches Christian doctrine within his sermons in a way that can be understood by a new (or seeking) Believer, yet also provides spiritual meat for those who have more Bible knowledge. Doctrine and straight Bible-teaching are what many modern churches have given up on in their efforts to reach the unchurched, but not Mark Driscoll.

I actually listened to the sermon series that Religion Saves: And Nine Other Misconceptions is based on, and was curious to see how it differed. I enjoyed listening to the series, but I think I like the book better. It reads more factually (and seems to contain more facts and figures), and less of his larger-than-life personality comes through on the page, which shifts the focus more to the topic and away from himself, which is a good thing for the message in my opinion.

This book was the result of a survey that was available on the Mars Hill website, asking for questions to be submitted. People voted on them, and Driscoll created a sermon series (and this book) from the top 10 categories. Each chapter is devoted to one of these topics which include cultural issues such as birth control, humor, sexual sin, dating, and the emergent church. More esoteric religious issues such as grace, predestination, and the regulative principle are also addressed.

Driscoll always gives his definite opinion on the issue (see "larger-than-life personality" above), but he also backs it up with scripture. You may or may not agree with him on all points, but Religion Saves: And Nine Other Misconceptions will definitely leave you thinking.

Find out more about Mark Driscoll (including links to podcats and vodcasts).
Read or listen to an excerpt from Religion Saves.
Find out what others on the blog tour have to say about this book.

2 comments:

Melissa @ Breath of Life said...

I'm reading this, too. It's my first exposure to Mark Driscoll. He certainly is blunt...but, as you say, he backs himself with Scripture.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Hm. I've never read or listened to Mark Driscoll, but have heard both positive and negative things about his style and teaching. Sounds interesting.