Monday, August 17, 2009

Amanda's and Kyle's Picks -- August

Earlier this month, Amanda asked, "You didn't ask me what book I liked for this month." I told her that it wasn't the third Tuesday yet, but I'd let her write up a review for the book she had just finished that she knew would be her favorite.

So yesterday afternoon she sat down and wrote her review. I'm going to leave it as is -- font, color and all.

Guest review from Amanda, age 10 11/12:

I read two good books this month. The first was Turnabout by one of my favorite authors Margaret Peterson Haddix**. Its about two 100 year old women who are offered the chance to get younger. Who wouldn't say yes??????So, after many experiments, they are injected with a chemical that makes you get younger every year.
After 85 years there is a problem. One girl gets an email from a mysterious woman, and they don't know what will happen next.


Another good book I read was Escape Under the Forever Sky by Eve Yohalem. I liked it because it had good details.


**Note from Mom: Margaret Peterson Haddix has a cool website with discussion questions for many of her books, including this one.

I also remembered to ask Kyle (age 5) this month, and he wants to recommend I'm The Biggest Thing in the Ocean by Kevin Sherry. This book caught my eye, because the lovely librarians had set it out on top of the bookshelves (I'm SO glad that they do that to highlight some books. Otherwise I'm lost). This book is oversized, bright, with only a few words on each page. Perfect for Kyle. It's also a little silly, which is always a hit.

Find out what other kids are reading in 5 Minutes for Books Kids' Picks carnival.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

=D But I didn't like being younger! When I was younger I looked forward to turning 25. I was pretty certain that when I turned 25 life would really begin and people would start to respect me. (Life WAS happening and people did NOT start respecting me over a number but I was very happy to be 25. THat was a really fun year!) But I'd rather be 30 with kids than 25 without! =D

Oh well.

Nevertheless, the book DOES sound really, really fascinating and, Amanda, I think you sold me!!!

Bluestocking said...

It's it funny how we always want to be younger than were are. mine

morninglight mama said...

Okay, first off, I have to say that I LOVED that Amanda put her review in purple print. :) Her book recommendation sounds really interesting-- I'm not sure that I'd want to go too far back, but 25 sure was a lot of fun! :)

And I agree about the books that are highlighted on the tops of the shelves at the library-- always great when a cool new book catches your eye!

Amy said...

Oooh, I LOVE Haddix's books! I haven't read one in a while, but this one sounds FANTASTIC! Thanks, Amanda!

I reviewed I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean a while back, too. Here's my post--->http://hopeistheword.wordpress.com/2009/02/12/read-aloud-thursday-7/

Thanks for sharing, Jennifer!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Thanks, Amanda & Kyle! (And Jennifer, of course.) I'm very curious about Haddix's books and may have to check out one or two of them myself.