Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Children's Advenure Books

Children's Classics


This month's fun topic at 5 Minutes for Books in the Children's Classics carnival is Adventure!

When I asked 5-year-old Kyle his choice of an adventurous book, he said, "Scaredy Squirrel." Yes, we love Scaredy Squirrel, and I was impressed with his reasoning. He said especially Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend (which I reviewed in a rambly sort of way at the link). I probably wouldn't agree that that one is the most adventurous, but that's okay. The truth is that Scaredy Squirrel, as penned by Melanie Watt, encourages children to explore new boundaries and directions.

I had an idea of what Amanda might suggest, and I was right. She said that The Mysterious Benedict Society was definitely an adventurous book. Incidentally, she's been trying to get me to read it. I do want to read it, but she wants it to be our next read-aloud, and it's all we can do to finish a 275 page read aloud book, so the size is daunting to me.

Check out the other recommendations at the Children's Classics carnival

10 comments:

Missy K said...

I had to chime in with my two cents and say the Mysterious Benedict Society may be my favorite read aloud that I've done with my boys (ages 6 and 8). We could hardly bear to put it down, and I struggled not to peek ahead. The sequel is gripping and humorous and smart as well-- go for it!

stephanie@{Olive Tree} said...

Mysterious Benedict is so good! That's one I'll definitely try and do with the girls when they get older. It's actually already on the list for my niece for Christmas this year, too. :)

Amy said...

I've got to read Benedict Society! That is all.

Bluestocking said...

I still have to read the Mysterious Benedict Society.

Cindy said...

Still need to read Scaredy Squirrel and The Mysterious Benedict Society is just calling me, too!

maureenhume said...

I really enjoy hearing what children are reading at the moment especially when the comments are coming from children. I must admit I haven't heard of The Mysterious Benedict Society, but the title is very intriguing. What age group is it aimed at?
Maureen Hume http://www.thepizzagang.com

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

ARGH--dontcha love a typo -- in the title? That would be "adventure" with a T.

Maureen--Mysterious Benedict Society is a long chapter book. As the comments indicate, people have read it to their younger children, but independent readers would probably be at least 9 or so.

And we start it today! Amanda has convinced me (and y'all have harped the point) -- so we're doing it as a read-aloud (she's read it -- more than once I think, but wants it as a read-aloud so that we ca enjoy it together).

ALICIA said...

I haven't read either of these books, and I must!!! Scaredy Squirrel looks adorable!

morninglight mama said...

Scaredy Squirrel cracks me up-- we borrowed one of those books from the library, about him being afraid to go to sleep, and there were so many little things in the illustrations that were so funny.

Okay, I've heard enough now about the MBS-- I have GOT to read that with JAM!

Kathleen said...

We love Scaredy Squirrel! There's a plush Scaredy puppet available here http://www.merrymakersinc.com/products_all.html

Supposed to be in stock by the end of the month.