Thursday, August 20, 2009

I'm Reading the Time Traveler's Wife

Okay, okay -- I'm reading it! Yes, I had heard that it was wonderful. Many people said it's the best book that they ever read. I know, I know. I had resisted -- mainly because I heard that the sexual content was fairly strong. But I'm about halfway into it, and either it gets worse, or I have a higher threshold than some people. Nonetheless, I'm enjoying it thoroughly, although I think it should have been called Henry and Clare. Anyone else? The Time Traveler's Wife makes me think too much of The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve. And it's not really just about Clare. It's about Henry and Clare.

My fellow 5 Minutes for Books reviewer Dawn, who I also consider a good bloggy friend now, is the one who really sold me. You have to read her funny (you can laugh at her -- I don't think she minds) account at her own blog my thoughts exactly about seeing the movie. Then you can also check out her more professional review of the book and the movie at Books on Screen. If you've seen it, or haven't seen it, but want to -- or have vowed never to see it, weigh in over there.

And let me know what you think of my alternate title right here (but no spoilers since I haven't read the end).

3 comments:

Cassandra said...

I agree that the title should be changed... I thought the book was going to be about Clare but felt it concentrated more on Henry. A bit misleading!

morninglight mama said...

You know, I've debated the title over and over, as well. I agree with what you're saying, but I also think that with each read, I'm always looking at the whole story, even Henry's experiences, from the wifely perspective-- what it's like to be connected to this man for practically one's entire life. Maybe that's just because I am a woman and a wife? Not sure, but I think I still prefer that the title emphasizes her perspective-- even as we read about his experiences, I'm always trying to link them back to the 'normal' timeline of Clare's lifetime.

And YAY YAY YAY that you're reading this. You seriously cannot fathom my elation at this. :) (And I thought that the sex in the book was much more meaningful and lovingly written than it played out on the screen, in the little bit that it was showed...)

Dianne said...

I was fascinated by the concept of time travel in this book but overall did not enjoy the story line, for some reason. But again, it was the idea that propelled me towards the end - masterful storycrafting (I know, how can i say that when I really didn't care for the story?!)