Tuesday, August 25, 2009

My Nightstand -- August

Last month I shared that I was happy I made time for some personal reading (as opposed to review reading, which is no less satisfying). This month, I also completed two books from my personal list. Each are linked to semi-reviews:

The House of Sand and Fog

The Time Traveler's Wife

This month, I'm continuing the tradition of trying to read some other books on my personal list.

America America was on the "top of the pile" in last month's Nightstand, and I actually did start reading it (a few pages), but needed to put it aside for some review reading, so I do hope to get to it this month for sure.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
recently jumped from my personal list to the 5 Minutes for Books list, since we are doing it for our Bookclub. Follow the link on the title to find out more, but you can join in our September 1 discussion whether or not you are a blogger, and no matter how long ago you read it. I've heard it's a very quick read. It's up next in my stack.

You'd Be So Pretty If . . . was listed in my Nightstand posts forever! Many of you commented that you were interested in it. Well I'm finally reading it. Expect a review at 5 Minutes for Books in September. It's good.

Hell Is Other Parents: And Other Tales of Maternal Combustion is cracking me up. It's a book of essays, and I've read a few of them. It's sort of along the vein of Free Range Parents, so I've enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

I'm also halfway through After You: A Novel, and enjoying it a LOT. It just released today.

I have a few other parenting titles on my Nightstand/Bookshelf, but I have to be inspired to dig into those. The others that I think I'll end up at least starting are

Await Your Reply: A Novel

And some middle grade/YA fiction:

The Secret of Zoom

and

Escape Under the Forever Sky

Amanda has already read and enjoyed both of these, so I know that they'll be fun.

Go see what others are reading around the blogosphere at 5 Minutes for Books' What's on Your Nightstand.

10 comments:

Nise' said...

Looking forward to your review on You'd Be So Pretty If... I have not seen TTTW movie yet..got to get a girlfriend to go along as hubby said, "no thank you"!

morninglight mama said...

You always amaze me with how much you can get through in a month, as well as how many books you can juggle at once. I seem to try to read 2 or 3 books simultaneously every few months, and I always end up getting all bogged down. I gotta do one at a time, and stop trying to be cool like everyone else. :)

Looking forward to these upcoming reviews!

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

I am also a one book at a time reader, so your list is making my head spin! :) I look forward to hearing about these books!

Lisa notes... said...

I keep hearing about "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" all the time, so I must make time to read this one! ha. If my library has it, I'll get it tomorrow. And maybe do the bookclub, too???

Thanks for all your inspiration!

Carrie said...

I used to read several books at once but now I can't do it. Well, I finally realized I could get through them faster if I only concentrated on one at a time and since that discovery I've been doing one at a time...increasing my reading speed. =D haha.

Guernsey IS a quick read and I'm so looking forward to the discussion of it!

Kipi said...

I was so glad to see Guernsey pop up on the Bookclub list as I've had it for several months and wanted to read it but always had something more pressing.

You're list is always amazing. Don't know how you get it all done!

Kipi said...

"Your" list...not "you're" :)

ibeeeg said...

I loved The Time Traveler's Wife. Loved it! I hope you are too.

I am thinking of grabbing The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society this week to read for the bookclub. I am not sure if I will be able to squeeze it in. I am gonna try.

Here is my Nighstand

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

I enjoyed Guernsey Literary... Totally and completely *not* my usual fiction fare, but an enjoyable, leisurely read that charmed me.

Just Mom said...

You always have an interesting list! Enjoy your month of reading.