Thursday, August 06, 2009

Seriously??

With the nominations open for Book Blogger Appreciation Week and on my mind (check it out and nominate by August 15!), I've been thinking booky recently. When I woke up this Thursday morning, I thought that I would check out the topic for the Booking Through Thursday meme.

They ask, "What's the most serious book you've read recently?"

I have to say it's the book I'm reading now: House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III (can't get any more recent than that, can you?).

I picked up this book because I've wanted to read something by Andre Dubus III for some time now. I had seen that movie years ago, and it definitely made an impact on me (I hope to review both in a future Books on Screen column at 5 Minutes for Books). Then I read and enjoyed Rooftops of Tehran*, and in an appendix the author suggested a reading list, which included this novel.

I'm reading it on my Kindle (which I've actually grown to love since I wrote that review, linked), which means it's the book that I read when I'm out and about, but I haven't been able to just put it down that easily.

This novel is full of the weight of choices, the injustice of chance and bad luck, and the difficulty of doing what's right. It's definitely a serious and thought-provoking read.

You can check out the other particpants' answers HERE.

*Rooftops of Tehran really is one of the best books I've read this year. We are going to discuss it on October 6 for our bookclub at 5 Minutes for Books. Anyone can join in (blogger or not).

7 comments:

Yvonne said...

I read House of Sand and Fog a few years ago. Yes, that was a very serious one and excellent.

Pam said...

Ah this is a great choice for the question! A beautiful albeit heavy book. Thanks for sharing!

Pam said...

Ah this is a great choice for the question! A beautiful albeit heavy book. Thanks for sharing!

jlshall said...

Those both sound intriguing. I have to admit, seeing the movie put me off reading Sand and Fog - I found it so frustrating and depressing. Should have read the book first.

JoAnn said...

I really liked House of Sand and Fog...just couldn't put it down! Haven't seen the movie though.

Susan B. Evans said...

Seriously intriguing answers this week! Here's my response.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

I've never read this one...

I admit, I tend not to read too many "heavy" novels. I read nonfiction, but my fiction tends to be light. That said, my most recent heavier novels would have to be Valley of the Shadows and The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.