Monday, August 10, 2009

Thank goodness they weren't working on the sewer

Did ya hear the one about the girl who fell into an open manhole into the sewer, because she was texting? It really happened.

Last week, we went into NYC to meet a friend who was in town visiting. The kids and I drove in quite uneventfully. In spite of the fact that it was late afternoon at the beginning of rush hour, we had absolutely no traffic. We were walking through Times Square, towards Toys R Us, which is a must-stop for the kids anytime we are in town. I'm not sure what the appeal is, because I never buy anything for them, but if you are visiting, it's definitely worth a stop to see the Lego displays.

I was holding Kyle's hand in one hand, and texting with the other hand, letting my friend know that we had made it, as we walked on the median down the middle of Times Square. And then. . . .

Well, let's just say that I'm glad that there wasn't an open manhole that day. There was about a four-inch curb, which I walked right off of and did a firm face plant. I landed right on the heels of my hands, badly scraping one of them. My knees felt scraped through my jeans as well.



"Are you okay?" my children asked me. "Are you all right?" the strangers who witnessed the spectacle asked.

"I'm fine," I replied, crawling out of the main footpath. I examined my hand, which was not only scraped, but bleeding, and fished out a bandaid from my purse.

Once we got to Toys R Us, I washed up in the bathroom and rebandaged my hand.

A week later, I'm still nursing my wounds. My hand has scabbed over, and I did indeed scrape and bruise my knees. But you know what? It was worth it.


We had a great dinner at Tony DiNapoli's (and most importantly to Amanda -- for the first time ever we ordered dessert).



I got to see an old friend, and our kids got to meet, which was especially poignant to me, since the reason we came together is over our kids. Almost eleven years ago, we started an email group when our big kids were just babies to help us get through those first few months of scheduling feedings, sleep training and more. Eleven years later, the eleven of us moms are still in touch.

7 comments:

Lori W. said...

I was wondering how your hand was... I bet you were fighting back tears all night - that looks like it hurts!

I'm so glad we were able to meet up for dinner - it was so much fun meeting your children and your Terry. I love the pictures you have - especially of the 3 kids together. Thanks for sharing this - what would we have done without each other almost 11 years ago??!!

Karla E said...

Jennifer...as you might have guessed...I'm jealous! You look great...your hair is SOO curly.

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

In wondering... 11+ years ago would you have been able to pull a bandaid out of your purse? :) Sounds like a great time (other than the scrape).

Martha said...

Well that sounds like something that would happen to me! That darn technology making us have to worry about being even more careful. I am so glad you are able to see so many friends...yet another perk of living up there, people go there for vacation! I'm so ready to come back.

Carrie said...

OW on the hand!

And I, too, love your hair! Is it naturally curly and just takes it it well? If so - lucky, lucky!

morninglight mama said...

Holy cow!! Walking While Texting injuries can be pretty severe, it looks like!! Hopefully you're healing well. ;)

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Oh, I love seeing pictures of the kids together. How awesome!

And the had? OUCH. Sorry about that...