Tuesday, September 01, 2009

And so it begins

School hasn't even started here, and yet the fall schedule is in full swing. What is it about Fall?? I don't know about the rest of you moms, but it always knocks me flat. I am no more over-scheduled in the Spring, but I guess by then I've just gotten used to it.

Tonight Amanda has her first soccer practice, and I say "tonight," because she practices until 7:30, which means we have to scramble to eat and digest dinner before we leave, and then scramble to get the little person ready for bed when return.

Then Thursday night is a parents' meeting at church for Junior High youth group. How could it be that my child is in youth group already?? So two nights of scrambling this week.



Last week we had a trial run for Kyle's first day of Kindergarten. The bus came to pick up the Kindergarteners-to-be and takes them to school where they spent an hour in their classroom with their teacher and their new friends (without Mommy). Then we picked them up in the cafeteria and took them home.

Big sister made sure Kyle followed the rules:
"Behind this line when a car is coming."

I love this school -- what a great idea! I didn't really worry that it would be a problem for Kyle, and as the bus came, he confirmed that by saying, "This is so exciting." But it's so much easier -- for me more than him I think -- to have it all behind us, and be able to face tomorrow morning, the real first day of school, with excitement and without the worry that always accompanies the unknown.

I tried to institute a trial run of sorts with the tween as well, but that wasn't quite as successful. Since she's been sleeping in a full hour and half or two hours longer than her school wake-up time, I thought that I should begin moving her closer this week before. One morning I woke her up, and told her that she could read in bed, but needed to practice waking up. When I went upstairs an hour later, she was lying in bed -- sleeping!

"I wasn't asleep," she insisted. "I was just closing my eyes. I do that all that time."

Yeah, all the time, like from 9:00pm until 8:00am each night.

So you win some, you lose some.

At any rate, they are both excited to get into school, and although I am not excited for that fall busy schedule, it has come to me anyway.

6 comments:

Kimberly/Mom in the City said...

I hear you. Kindergarten for my son starts next Wednesday, so we're changing the sleep schedules and such. That way,it won't be a "shock" to his system...we're so NOT morning people :-)

morninglight mama said...

Ah, the transition isn't going all that well here- back to the morning routine and the homework thing in the afternoon. Ugh. I'm not sure who it's harder on...

:)

Happy Fall!

Carrie said...

=D Well I like to close my eyes periodically too. In fact, I'd like to rest them a bit just now!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

I love that they did a trial run for Kyle! That really is fantastic.

We have a preschool Open House for L. this Friday...just checking out the classroom, etc.

My children never sleep in. C. was *finally* sleeping until 7:00 right before school started -- only 20 minutes later than he needs to get up now. So not a big adjustment, which I guess is good. But I still wish my kids would learn to sleep in a little over the summer. :)

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

Hmmm...I just gave my eyes a 2 hour rest. No need to work them ALL day! :)

Martha said...

What a great way for the Kindergartners to get used to a new routine. He is going to do great!

My issue is different dismissal times: 2:45, 3:30 and 4:15. The afternoon is harder when they are not getting home together. We are in the full swing of things on second week already!