Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Hunger Games -- What Next?

For Amanda it was all about Catching Fire** this month. She and I both read the sequel to Suzanne Collin's the Hunger Games (linked to our thoughts). and enjoyed it this month. She claims it's "even better than the last one!"

We thought that in addition to saying if you haven't read The Hunger Games just read it, already; we'd also make some recommendations for some of you who brought yourself right to the edge of the cliff with Catching Fire.

For younger Hunger Games fans (and for the record, The Hunger Games is a more mature book and very intense book -- I'd recommend it for 5th grade at the youngest): Suzanne Collins' Gregor the Overlander series, written for 9 - 12 year olds. Amanda read a few of these in 4th grade, but she didn't finish the series. She's listening to the audiobook of Book 1 right now, and is planning to read through the series as she bides her time for the third installment of this one that she loves.

For teen (and adult) Hunger Games fans looking for more, I couldn't help but make comparisons to the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld, especially as I was reading the second book.

Another distopian book that Amanda liked (and I am listening to on audiobook) is Life As We Knew It.

Do you have any other suggestions for those who are left hungering for the next installment in the Hunger Games series?

Find out what more kids enjoyed this month at 5 Minutes for Books Kids' Picks carnival -- join in the third Tuesday of each month!

**Enter our great Catching Fire Giveaway through TODAY only.

7 comments:

morninglight mama said...

YAY for Hunger Games and Catching Fire!! I seriously am so excited to do the random drawing for that giveaway!

I had a feeling that your Kids' Picks would have a little something to do with this book. :)

Bluestocking said...

I just finished the Hunger Games series. I reviewed Percy Jackson this time.

Carrie said...

Well, you're tempting me closer to it every time you mention it. However, I'm still not quite certain. ;D So, Amanda, Jennifer, would I like it? Me personally? I'm wondering if this is one of those, "Well, hey, we read Anne, the least you can do in return is read The Hunger Games." ;)

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Thanks! Catching Fire is on my shelf, but I haven't read it yet. Soon, though...

And I plan to check out the Gregor books for C.

Jenny said...

I appreciate all your reviews. Your blog has helped me choose some great books for my son.

To say thanks, I have a blog award for you.

http://booksjustbooks.blogspot.com/2009/09/first-blog-award.html

Carrie K. said...

Jennifer - another great YA dystopian novel is The Maze Runner by James Dashner. It comes out on Oct. 13th - but I was lucky enough to receive an ARC. It's a real page-turner.

planetnomad said...

Oh Ilsa (my 12 y/o daughter) ADORES the Gregor books. One of her sorrows in life is that she only has 2 of them. I will have to let her know about this new series (I entered to win but didn't recognize the author's name). And she enjoyed the Uglies series too. She even has one of them (I forget...the 3rd?) in French! Yes. And we just got "Life as We Knew it" in the mail today :) Your kids' picks are right on! Now if you could just persuade Barnes and Noble to open a branch in Morocco...