Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Daddy Long Legs and Toys Go Out

Amanda (age 11) and I are on a pretty good roll of Reading Together. We started off early last month with the Mother-Daughter Bookclub. Then we jumped right into Daddy Long Legs. Two books in two months is pretty consistent for us. But in full transparency, we finished Daddy Long Legs over a week ago and haven't even thought about another book, and I think that's okay too.

We both loved Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster. It is a book of letters (fictional) written in 1912 by an orphan to the benefactor of her children's home who sent her to college. She is a lovable heroine, amusing and full of life -- very Anne of Green Gables.

One reason that we read that book so quickly is the format. Knowing that the chapters were letters enabled me to read "just one more," without committing to a 10 page chapter. And because we were both enjoying it so much, and it was so easy to read aloud since it was just this lovely exuberant young woman's voice, we had no problems.

I would recommend it for middle school kids on up (through high school really, since it's about her going off to college and becoming herself, as we all do once we strike off on our own). I'd also recommend that you try it as a read-aloud.

I asked Amanda what she liked it about it, and she said, "It wasn't that exciting*, but it was still SO good. I liked that it was letters. That was an interesting way to tell a story. The character was funny, and I liked her."

*Amanda's always big on "exciting" books -- action, adventure, suspense -- but I love it when she appreciates good character driven fiction like her mom does.

I also tackled a big read-aloud with Kyle (age 5). We read Toys Go Out, which Amanda's elementary school had read as an entire school a few years ago. It's a great story about friendship and like Daddy Long Legs it's about figuring out who you are. The stuffed animals in the "Little Girl's" room tell the story. They are humorous, and it's a fun read-aloud as well. I enjoyed the challenge of reading a longer book with Kyle. This book would be a terriffic read-aloud for a family that includes a wide-range of ages (like mine does!).

Find out what books other kids around the blogosphere have enjoyed (and link up your own) at 5 Minutes for Books' Kids' Picks carnival the 3rd Tuesday of each month.

8 comments:

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

We enjoy Toys Go Out as well. You recommended it a couple of years ago (WOW--time flies), and we have read it several times. I really need to tackle some chapter books with my Best Girl. Thanks for the reminder!

Carrie said...

Huh. I've never heard of Toys Go Out. Is it kind of in keeping with Toy Story at all? I bet we'd like it in a few years. Sounds fun!

Rayna said...

books like Daddy Long Legs make me wish I had a girl. We are just getting into the longer books here at our house, thanks for the Toy Go Out recommend.

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

As I recall I enjoyed reading Daddy Long Legs when I was in high school. I can't wait until Ellie's old enough for the girlie books!

morninglight mama said...

Cool suggestions-- we'll have to check out the Toys book!

Suko said...

It's wonderful to read together with your children or to read the same books and then discuss them. Thanks for the book suggestions!

Jessie at Blog Schmog said...

My kids would like the Toys go Out. I'll have to keep my eye open for it.

Cindy said...

Toys Go Out sounds like something my son would enjoy!