Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Moisturizing Body Wash?

I've been wanting to jump back in and participate in Jo-Lynne's Tuesday carnival What I Learned This Week, and I have the perfect topic today.

I like to use body wash, partly to moisturize my skin, but also because of the scent, since life as a stay-at-home mom certainly doesn't call for the use of perfume!

When I was asked by the people over at Dove if I'd like to try out their new body washes that contain a new form of moisture, I was more than willing.

Did you know that other body washes dry out your skin? They might make the outside of your skin feel soft, but the ingredients are harsh, and actually serve to dry it out. From their website:

The “Dirty Little Secret” of Body Washes: All regular body washes cause dry skin damage. Until now, all regular body washes caused dry skin damage. Current body washes actually damage proteins and lipids in the skin’s outer layer (called the stratum corneum) during the cleansing process, which can lead to the loss of critical moisture. When skin lacks proper moisture, dryness, tightness and irritation/redness can all occur. Some existing body wash technologies are focused on minimizing protein damage and alleviating visual symptoms of moisture loss by adding heavy moisturizing ingredients (occlusives) that sit on top of skin. While these additives help mask dry skin damage, they do not address the deeper problem of lipid damage.

With its fifty-year heritage in cleansing and caring for skin, Dove discovered how to restore skin’s natural moisture while cleansing with body wash. A breakthrough in the body wash category, only the new Dove Body Wash collection contains NutriumMoisture™ technology that cares for surface skin ten layers deep. Unlike other body washes, this first-of-its-kind body wash technology takes a dual approach to healthy, nourished skin by preserving both proteins and lipids during cleansing.


The scent isn't the perfumy smell of the fraganced body washes. It's more like that traditional Dove scent, which always makes me feel clean and fresh.

But on the moisturizing angle, I have to say that I agree with Dove's claims. I love using it to shave my legs, and the moisture in my skin is evident as the water beads off from the protecting layer!

So if you are looking for something to guard against that winter-dry skin, give the new line of Dove's Nutrium body washes a try.

Check out their claims for yourself.

********

Today is our Rooftops of Tehran bookclub over at 5 Minutes for Books. I enjoyed this book so much. If you've read it, I invite you to jump over and participate, but if you haven't, look at my review and the thoughts of others, and perhaps it will convince you to give it a try.

3 comments:

Terra said...

I am still barely getting in showers..let alone body washes!!!

heather said...

Pardon me while I teeter on the edge of TMI. I love Dove for the reasons you mentioned below, but I found that Dove does nothing for washing away yesterday's deodorant. I have to use another soap for my armpits and Dove for the rest of my body.
For the record, I think this is the oddest comment I've ever left.

JanMary said...

After the previous comment - nothing to add!