Saturday, October 31, 2009

A Scary Rock and a Christmas Tree


Oh, we're nothing if not creative around here. As I had to explain to Dawn after she replied to my comment on her Halloween costume post over at DC Metro Moms, we are not crafty. Craftiness requires effort and precision. We're much heavier on the ideas and inspiration.

Last month Kyle decided that he was going to be a "scary spider with red eyes." We were in the drug store and I saw a great looking web (window ornament) with a "scary" spider with red eyes on it. I told him that we could put that on a sweatshirt, and he agreed. Then I saw a really scary looking spider that I said we could fasten to a stocking cap, and he said it was too scary.



I told him that I bought him gray sweats, and he decided that he was going to be a "scary rock" (with the spiders on it). So we went with that.

Amanda came home one day and said, "I know what I'm going to be for Halloween. A Christmas tree. I want to light up." So I ordered a big green men's hoodie; she already had brown leggings and Christmas socks. Finding battery powered lights (that didn't cost an arm and a leg to ship) this time of year was tough. I ended up using industrial strength (really) velcro tape to adhere battery-operated tea lights to her, in addition to glow stick bracelets.


Trimming the Tree

I loved this idea and the end result, and she got lots of oohs and aahs when we were out.

This year we returned to Main Street to Trick-or-Treat (see more awesome pictures from 2006). Because we live in a semi-rural area, it's hard to go door-to-door on our streets (no sidewalks, no streetlights, and long driveways), so hundreds of people flood Main Street, and the people there go all out. It's festive, convenient, and the kids always see some of their friends.





When they got home, they got involved with what I recall was my favorite part of the night -- sorting and swapping:




I invite you to subscribe to my feed, or follow me @jenndon on twitter.

16 comments:

Adventures In Babywearing said...

The Christmas tree! That is creative...

Steph

Musings of a Housewife said...

That's great! I love it. I have no original ideas. Good for them!

Martha said...

Your family does a great job with costumes. They look great and it looks like you had tons of fun.

Mommy Bear said...

How fun! I love the Christmas tree!

Staci said...

I love the costume ideas! Definitely very creative!

Emily said...

What fun ideas! I look forward to the day when my kids are old enough to think creatively about costumes. I think my daughter was one of about 500 princesses in the neighborhood tonight!

Jamie said...

Very cute and creative costumes!

A Lady Called Amy said...

such cool costumes!

Jacquelin said...

Love the costumes, The Christmas tree is a great idea!

morninglight mama said...

This is TOO cool-- very creative, and crafty in a nontraditional way, perhaps. :)

j said...

loved the costumes. you are crafty. crafty = clever and your creations prove it.

Melissa @ Breath of Life said...

Did your husband go to UVA? Wow...small world! How did I not know that before?

Lee @ foodieplus4 said...

Very cute! Glad you stayed dry.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Oh, what fun! You may not consider yourself crafty, but you're definitely creative! I, on the other hand, relied on a store-purchased costume for L. :)

melaniet42 said...

I am not original. At all. Your kids are super creative - way to go!!

Marie said...

Awesome! I love that they came up with their own costumes. They turned out great too.