Monday, October 12, 2009

Time Marches On

"Have you seen the 18-year-olds today? I look at them and think, 'How can you be 18 when I'm still 18?'"

--a loose translation of one of Hope's lines in one of the first two episodes of thirtysomething

I don't listen to the radio much. To clarify, I don't listen to my own music on the radio much. I either listen to talk radio or CDs (be they CDs for children or adults). On Saturday Amanda and I were driving home from New York City after a fun outing to see Finian's Rainbow (review and giveaway to come on 5 Minutes for Mom later this month). We had exhausted our Taylor Swift, Hannah Montana, and Wicked CDs. She was reading, so I started surfing the dial.

I caught the beginning of a song, and began singing along:

Everybody needs a little time away,
I heard her say,
From each other

As I sang every single word of "Hard to Say I'm Sorry" by Chicago, I had flashbacks to my youth. I remembered a guy who I had a crush on. I don't remember his name, or even how I knew him, but I remember dark eyes with a heavy fringe of eyelashes. I think that my friend Barb and I both liked him, and I think that he was a year older than we were. I remember running into him at the Gerland's Supermarket (to which Barb and I rode our bikes, Free-Range Kids that we were).

And it hit me that these were 6th grade memories**. How could I be remembering every single word to a song, along with the memories that it evoked, from my 6th grade year while sitting next to my very own daughter, who is now in 6th grade herself?

And after all that's been said and done
You're just a part of me I can't let go

I've forgotten more than I can remember, but I do hope that the memories of the girl that I was will come back when needed. I hope that they will help me as I walk this journey with Amanda: to caution, to empathize, to relate.

- - - - - - -

**A little investigation confirmed that I was indeed eleven years old when the song came out.

4 comments:

Melissa @ Breath of Life said...

Somehow, I was thinking I was much older when that song came out, but as I think back on 6th grade...that's probably about the right time. Gosh...seems like only yesterday. (And I'm certain that I don't want my daughter involved in any sort of music or goings on that I was involved in during that time of my life!)

foodieplus4 said...

Sing it, sista!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Isn't it funny how those songs just lurk in the back of our minds, every lyric intact, waiting to spring forth with all the associated memories? I have a somewhat-weird habit of listening to 80's music when I pay the bills and am often struck by a song I haven't heard in many years, but suddenly I'm remembering angst over a boy, or a fight with a friend, etc.

Jen Rouse said...

Thanks for the flashback--I was instantly singing along.