Thursday, November 05, 2009

Celebrating with Girlfriends

Since we are now almost a week into November, I can no longer even claim that it's my birth month. It's all over. However, I did enjoy it.

I didn't post about the celebration that I had with my girlfriends last week, but my friend Lee did. She told me that she had so many great pictures of me, so I'm wondering why the one she posted makes me look addled***. Maybe that's what 39 looks like?? Anyway, her post is very aptly titled "It's a party, and I'll eat if I want to." Check it out.

The food and the company was excellent. Seriously, everyone should get together with girlfriends as often as they can. In addition to eating, we embarrassed the tween with a little bit of singing just like we did at our grown-up sleepover party.

We also watched a movie, which still feels like an indulgence to me. We watched Grey Gardens with Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange. It wasn't exactly the happy-go-lucky chick flick that I was expecting. The plot descriptions are fairly accurate (which I obviously didn't read carefully!), but instead of it being a "tender mother-daughter love story" as described, the three of us saw it as destructive and dysfunctional. Lee knew exactly what it was about, but Nicole and I did not. The acting was fabulous, and I'd still probably recommend it, but you should be sure that you know what you are getting into.

What does your favorite girlfriend time look like?


***Edited Friday to add a link to Lee's post number two, with cake and gifts and even more (less-addled) pictures of me.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

That sounds like so much fun (and the food looks delicious!). My favorite girl's night out is just to go to a coffee shop or restaurant with absolutely no time constraints and just sit and talk and talk and talk!

morninglight mama said...

I don't have very high standards-- drop me and my friends in the middle of a *insert chain restaurant here* and keep the appetizers/ desserts /drinks coming (especially the drinks), and we will have a grand time being that annoying table of ladies laughing too loud. Good times.

And, is that first picture you? I literally only have the images from your profile pics here and on 5M4B in my head, and that picture looks very different. Love the scarf!!

Kimberly/Mom in the City said...

That sounds like so much fun!
Now that I have the kids, I usually like to go out with my girlfriends - either for high tea or massages. Sooo relaxing...

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Girl time for me usually involves going out for coffee, and hopefully some form of chocolate dessert. :) Sounds like you guys had fun, despite the unexpectedness of the movie.

planetnomad said...

I rarely get just "girl time," but a friend recently had a bday and I hosted a small party with 5 of us. It was so much fun! I think that's something that doesn't happen often overseas, but I came away with the conviction that it should happen more often!
Glad you had such a good time.