Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Children's Books for the Holidays

This month's topic for Children's Classics at 5 Minutes for Books is Celebrating the Holidays -- any book, any holiday. Of course with Thanksgiving and Christmas being right around the corner, I'm sure that's what most people are going to be suggesting.


However, I'd like to take this opportunity to recommend the National Geographic Holidays Around the World series. They aren't technically classics, but with beautiful photos by National Geographic how can you go wrong?

Celebrate Independence Day offers pictures of people enjoying picnics, fireworks, and other summer fun. It also gives a simple explanation of why we celebrate independence day. The end of the book offers "More about Independence Day" including how to have a three-legged race, a look at independence days around the world, and a recipe for deviled eggs.


I've also seen Celebrate Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, which is a great way to learn about how these Jewish holidays are celebrated around the world.

In addition to the holidays mentioned above, this series does explore Thanksgiving and Christmas as well. Although I haven't previewed those titles, I'm sure that they are beautiful and inspiring.

2 comments:

morninglight mama said...

Very cool take on this theme! I appreciate the beauty of the NatGeo books and the way they can introduce our kids to other cultures, people and places!

Katy said...

These books sound really neat--I love the idea of introducing my kids to holidays in other cultures throughout the world. :)