Friday, November 27, 2009

Food on TV


As I mentioned, Top Chef is one of the few shows that I actually keep up with real-time. I love the mix of competitive creativity and real-life (staged and produced) drama.

My sister and her family visited us for Thanksgiving, and one of the things that she and her daughter wanted to do was visit Carlos' Bakery (of Cake Boss fame) in Hoboken, New Jersey. Because of other things on our agenda (and the distance), we didn't know if we'd be able to go there. Her husband had come in earlier on business, and ended up with Wednesday free, so he won the father-of-the-year award by standing in line to get in the packed store and purchasing some Carlos memorabilia, which he was able to get signed by the Cake Boss himself.

Those were some tasty treats.


These cupcakes look like your standard supermarket gross gloppy shortening-covered dry cake, but no. The cake was moist, and the frosting was decent -- not great, but okay, and the cake was fantastic.

He also bought a chocolate pecan pie (covered with powdered sugar) that was pretty darn good. The chocolate was rich and flavorful. Coincidentally my foodie friend Lee brought a pecan pie with chocolate chips to share with us at Thanksgiving. We ate hers on Thursday and saved this one for Friday. She left a couple of pieces with me, so on Friday I did a taste test. They were completely different, but both really really good.

So, should I be tuning in to TLC to watch the Cake Boss? Are there any other food shows that you watch on TV?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

That pie looks scrumptious. Of course, anything involving chocolate and pecan gets points in my book.

I watch Top Chef, and a few other food shows: Ace of Cakes, Iron Chef (my husband's favorite, so I watch with him). Haven't watched Cake Boss yet, though.