Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I Run on Momentum

When I can, I like to join Jo-Lynne at sharing What I Learned This Week. This week I didn't have to go any farther than comparing Monday to Tuesday.

We are hosting a big crowd here at Thanksgiving -- 3 families plus us. My sister and her family are coming from Tulsa to visit -- for the first time.

So, I've been not only cleaning, but getting the basement ready (we have to have a place to send those 12 children on Thanksgiving Day, right?), clearing out the guest room that inevitably becomes a catch-all, and helping Amanda get her tween room into shape so that she can share it with her cousin.

Over the weekend, I made some progress, and Monday I was a machine. I cleaned. I sorted. I threw away. I barely checked email and stayed away from the computer (which explains why I forgot to post What's on Your Nightstand at the right time. I remembered once when I was on the computer, but didn't do it right then, so it totally slipped my mind until Tuesday morning).

I am mostly ready, but I have a bit more to do in addition to shopping and menu preparation, namely some more work on the basement.

So that brings me to my dilemma for tomorrow. My plan was to go to the grocery store early -- before 9:00 a.m. for sure, since shopping the day before Thanksgiving is a little crazy, right? BUT I know myself. If I tackle that excursion, I will likely lose the motivation to buckle down and work.

Today is the perfect example. I had planned to put in a couple of hours of work, but I had to/got to go to Kyle's Kindergarten Thanksgiving party for an hour this morning, and wanted to stop and get the ham and the turkey for Thanksgiving (I don't want to battle the crowd for those). Then late this afternoon, I took Kyle to get the H1N1 vaccine. So I used the time in between to catch up on some computer work (namely getting the 5 Minutes for Books Gift Guide and Giveaway ready to post -- it starts tomorrow!)

I am not a hard worker, and I'm also not one to pull an all-nighter. One of my friends tells me how she stays up until the wee hours of the morning getting her house ready when she needs to, whereas I just call it "good enough" by a certain point. I haven't changed much. I was exactly the same way in college.

So I'm thinking that I'll get to work bright and early tomorrow and then just go to the store when I'm finished. It might sound crazy, but I know myself, and I'm thinking that's the way to go, crowds or no.


7 comments:

Martha said...

Yea for just good enough! I am right there with you which is why we were such great roommates! Your guests and family will understand.

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

I am SO ok with "good enough!" I have to grocery shop tomorrow also. My choices were: go today with 3 out of 4 sick kids, me sick, and it drizzly; OR go tomorrow by myself. I picked tomorrow. :)

Kimberly said...

May I suggest checking out www.flylady.net? Since a friend introduced me to her website, I haven't had to rush around at the last minute preparing for Thanksgiving (or Christmas) because I learned to do a little each day. It is a little late for you to start with Thanksgiving preparations now :), but there's always next year.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

JanMary said...

Happy Thanksgiving - we don't have it here in N Ireland :)

Enjoy your guests, and after all this work, put your feet up too if you can!

morninglight mama said...

Hey- good for you for knowing what works best for you! I hope you have a lovely holiday!!

Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said...

Good enough works for me when it comes to my house! LOL And when I pull the all nighters, well then I have to nap at some point! What stays up must come down. ;)

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Oh I hear you. Inertia/momentum is a powerful force and it's wise of you to learn to work with it to maximize your productivity.