Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Kids' Picks -- More Margaret Haddix and Look Closely

This month Kyle (5 1/2) has enjoyed the Looking Closely picture books that I previously reviewed on 5 Minutes for Books (linked to my review). As he makes more and more steps towards reading independently, I am reminded that I may have to search for alternatives other than the chapter books that Amanda always did (and still does) enjoy. He spied these books on our shelf and has requested them a few times this month. They are beautifully photographed and well-written, so I don't mind reading them at all.

Amanda loves Margaret Peterson Haddix (linked to a previous post recommending another of her novels). She just finished the first book in The Missing Series, Found. She also re-read Running Out of Time and enjoyed it just as much the second-time around.

Now she's tasked me with the quest of finding Sent (Missing Book 2).

Share what your kids are reading and find out what other kids recommend at Kids' Picks at 5 Minutes for Books the 3rd Tuesday of each month.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

Those Looking Closely books seem like something we would enjoy in another year or so perhaps?

How's MBS going?

anner1010 said...

Joshua and I read both Found and Sent. The second one is very interesting because it deals with a true historical mystery. And, the even better news is that there are AR tests for both books!

Bluestocking said...

I hadn't heard of these before.

Here in mine

morninglight mama said...

I know I've seen the Haddix books at the library- perhaps another thing for JAM to look forward to. He's just recently devoured the first 6 of the 39 Clues books, and he's starting on the Percy Jackson books now. Such fun!

planetnomad said...

My kids LOVE Haddix...we have the first four of the "Among the..." series. (You know which ones I mean.) I thought they'd be too scary, but Ilsa read and loved them at about 9 or so, and Elliot enjoyed them too. I'll have to look for more of her books! (We also really liked Just Ella...have you read that one?)

planetnomad said...

My kids LOVE Haddix...we have the first four of the "Among the..." series. (You know which ones I mean.) I thought they'd be too scary, but Ilsa read and loved them at about 9 or so, and Elliot enjoyed them too. I'll have to look for more of her books! (We also really liked Just Ella...have you read that one?)