Saturday, November 21, 2009

Some Conversations

Yesterday, Kyle and I were having a little lunch out, and we were trying to get the lid to stay on his fountain drink. He asked if it was my lid instead, and I told him that my cup didn't have a lid.

"So you're just going to drink like Dad?" he asked, being more observant than I give him credit for. My husband has a thing against straws. He doesn't like them. So even at a fast food place when we are all lidded and strawed, he drinks straight from the cup.

< >..< >..< >..< >..< >..< >

Amanda and I were on the way home from our errands, and she was telling me how she needed some conditioner, and we should stop at Stop and Shop. I had already made three stops, and knowing that she didn't need it today, I told her no.

"Can we stop at Walgreen's or something if we pass one on the way home?"

"Yes," I quickly agree.

She laughs and says equally quickly, "We aren't going to pass one, are we?"

< >..< >..< >..< >..< >..< >

Kyle comes downstairs and observes, "What smells like dead ladybugs?"

"Ask your dad," I tell him, who is out on the back deck emptying out the dead ladybugs from the Dirt Devil hand vac.

"Why do you think that it smells like dead ladybugs?" he asked Kyle.

"Because I saw a dead ladybug, and I smelled it one time, and that's what it smells like."

So for those of you who don't live up north, in the late Fall, ladybugs become an issue. They swarm around on warm Fall days, and make their way inside. In some homes they sun themselves (and usually die) on the windows, and other times they congregate in the corners. In our home, they do both.

Ironically, this "dead ladybug smell" was recently pointed out to me by a friend who said that her husband was using the shopvac to get them off of their ceilings, and you had to be careful not to kill them, because they gave off a weird smell.

She also has a five-year-old son in her house, so perhaps he pointed this out to her?

7 comments:

morninglight mama said...

Ha- these are too funny, especially Amanda's instant realization!

And that's the most bizarre thing about the dead ladybug smell... I've never encountered that, but I don't think I really want to! :)

Susan (5 Minutes For Mom) said...

Those made me laugh... smart kids you've got!

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

Those are two smart cookies, ya got there!

Now that you mention it, we didn't have any ladybugs this year. Odd.

Sarah said...

Kevin is also anti-straw! must be genetic.
=)

Dad said...

Susan says she can relate to the "yes" and "we're not going to" comments. Genetic brillance!!
LOVE

Z-Kids said...

Ever tasted a dead ladybug? **shiver** When he was a little bitty dude, my son had one stuck in a milkshake. He kept complaining about the taste, but it wasn't 'til it was almost gone that I checked it for him. Blech. Poor lil guy...

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Okay, we get ladybugs here, but haven't noticed the dead ladybug smell. Hm... However, when C. was about 4, he once told me that there was a bug upstairs. I asked him what kind and he said he didn't know, but he could smell it and he knew what bugs smelled like.

Very clever of Amanda to figure out your sneakiness re: stopping on the way home. :)