Friday, December 04, 2009

Best Book in 2009

I heard about Gwen Bell's Best of 2009 series from Susan over at 5 Minutes for Mom, and today's topic happens to be Best Book of 2009.

She asked "What book - fiction or non - touched you? Where were you when you read it? Have you bought and given away multiple copies?"

It was easy for me, a book blogger, to come up with an answer for that one. The book that I've enjoyed most this year was The Help by Kathryn Stockett.



I started off the review I wrote back in February for 5 Minutes for Books this way (click through the link to read my full review):

In the two days that I spent reading the pages of The Help, I didn't want to do anything else. I reached for the gold cover frequently in lieu of talking on the phone, watching TV, doing housework or anything else.
I am certainly not unique in my thoughts, but that's another reason that I'm selecting this as my best book of 2009. I haven't purchased lots of copies, but I have loaned mine out, and recommended it numerous times. And what's so cool is that everyone has loved it too. In fact, a couple of times when I was talking books with people, they brought it up, and I was able to say "Yeah, me too!! I loved it!"

That's what I love about books -- the way that they can bring us together, the way that they can help us escape our everyday life, the way that they can teach us something about the world as they are entertaining us. The Help definitely meets all of those criteria.

What was your best book of 2009?

7 comments:

anner1010 said...

The Help was by far my favorite book of the year. I felt changed after I read it. My parents lived in Jackson during those years and having grown up in Mississippi myself, I always felt there was so much we just didn't talk about. The book gave personality to what had always just been headlines to me. Without a doubt, it gets my vote.

Lisa writes... said...

I loved The Help and only picked it up because of your enthusiastic review--one of the great things about online community!

Kimberly said...

I do the same thing when I'm reading a good book. Everything else can wait (well, almost).

The book that touched me the most in 2009 has to have been Nicholas Sparks' The Notebook. I realize that book has been out for a while, but I never read it until recently. My heart literally ached for days once I finished it.

I'll have to check out The Help. Thanks for the recommendation!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

I've had the audiobook of The Help on my iPod for a while, now, but haven't started listening to it yet. I'm afraid that once I do, that's ALL I'll want to do -- I've heard so many good things about this book.

morninglight mama said...

I was at dinner with two "reader" friends, and this was the first book that was mentioned. She listened to the book on CD and said it was an amazing recording. I KNOW I have to read this one!!

planetnomad said...

I loved it too :) My book group here in Rabat read it last month.

I don't know what my fav book this year was. I'll have to think about it.

Nicole Feliciano said...

I haven't read that one. Thanks for the idea. I think Little Bee would be my pick for the year.