Monday, December 21, 2009

Fall into Reading Wrap-Up -- Mine and Amanda's

I'm going to combine mine and Amanda's wrap-up posts in one.

Here's Amanda's original list with some comments:

  1. The Gregor the Overlander books 2-6 (by Suzanne Collins) -- Enjoyed finishing these
  2. Dear Pen Pal -- Liked this one
  3. Daddy Long Legs -- Liked reading this aloud with Mom
  4. Love, Stargirl -- It was good
  5. Harry Potter 5 (re-read)
  6. Harry Potter 6 (re-read)
  7. Harry Potter 7 -- Woohoo! It as great, finally!!
  8. The Nobodies -- I love these books!
  9. The Anybodies
  10. All the Nutmegs I haven't read yet -- I decided I didn't want to read all of them.
  11. Finish Peter and the Starcatchers -- I decided I didn't really want to read these now.
  12. Peter and the Shadow Thieves
  13. Peter and the Secret of Rundoon
My list (with comments)

As usual, I read many books not on this list (you can see the ones I reviewed on 5 Minutes for Books HERE), but I'm just going to report on the ones that I listed:

Fiction:

Thirsty by Tracey Bateman -- I read a few chapters, but stopped
Little Bird of Heaven by Joyce Carole Oates -- This one seemed a little dark, so I never quite felt in the mood
America, America by Ethan Canin -- I'm reading this now, and loving it!
Dismantled by Jennifer McMahon -- This seemed a little creepy, and I was never in that mood
The Hunger Mirror -- This blog tour was postponed
Once in a Blue Moon by Eileen Gouge -- A nice, easy read, linked to my review

Non-fiction (Most of these are very readable memoir-ish books):

Come Back Como -- Didn't read
The Hidden Life of Deer -- Loved it, linked to my review
The Kids are All Right -- Read it and didn't like it at all.

With Amanda (aloud or alongside):

Dear Pen Pal (the third in the Mother-Daughter Book Club) -- Great! Linked to my review
Daddy Long Legs (the classic that the books is based on) -- Loved it. Linked to my thoughts.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows -- it's time to wrap up the series at last -- but I didn't, yet.

Other Middle Grade or YA fiction:

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
-- Fun to go down memory lane, linked to my review
Escape Under the Forever Sky -- Amanda loved this, but I still haven't read it
The Other Side of Blue -- It was okay
When the Whistle Blows -- This is still on my shelf
Troubling a Star -- I still want to get to this book, the last in the Meet the Austins series by Madeleine L'Engle

Do you like challenges? Click over to 5 Minutes for Books and tell us what challenges you have enjoyed or what challenges you are signing up for in 2010.

9 comments:

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Good job, both of you! Lots of reading the fall! You need to read the last Harry Potter -- maybe over Christmas break?

Lisa notes... said...

How fun to see your posts together. Treasure these times! I loved reading with my girls.

Melanie said...

Very cool! I've heard good things about Stargirl. I'll have to check it out. Hope you had fun. =)

Robin of My Two Blessings said...

You both did a lot of reading. I'll have to check out the suzanne collins series. My son and I will be reading Peter and the Starcatchers together in 2010 so looking forward to that. Love the idea of your mother daughter book club.

Carrie said...

Naturally, I always like seeing your lists. However, I've really grown to love hearing about what Amanda read and loved. (So thanks for sharing, Amanda!)

You both did a great job! =)

mommablogsalot said...

The Mixed Up Files... is one of my alltime favorite books - great list - good job reading!

Rana said...

Sounds like you had some great reads. Enjoy your winter reading!!

Nise' said...

Both of you did great! I am trying to get my daughter to join a few of the reading challenges for 2010.

Julie said...

You both did great this time. I'm like your daughter, I re-read some of the Harry Potters too. :)