Thursday, December 03, 2009

A Good Time Was Had By All

Thanksgiving weekend in Times Square--call us crazy, but we had fun


I feel like posting a week after Thanksgiving is sort of anti-climactic, but I did want to share about our holiday (and feel free to fill me in on the highlights or lowlights of your own!).

My sister, her husband, and their three kids came to visit from Tulsa. We had a great time. They are very low-maintenance visitors, which is just the way we like them. We had an equally good visit at their house last summer, so all of the kids were really looking forward to reuniting.

They didn't get in until late Wednesday night, and so I was preparing all week -- cooking, cleaning, shopping. Kyle was very excited about pumpkin pie this year, due to the pumpkin unit they did at school. For about 3 weeks, he asked every day if we could make some. Terry thought that we should hold him off until Thanksgiving, because he was probably going to be disappointed.


Making Pumpkin Pie

Unfortunately, at about noon on Thanksgiving Day, Kyle fell ill -- suddenly! I was worried about this, and warned my visitors (which included our dear local friends along with old college friends who live about two hours away, in addition to our out-of-town guests). He had the live H1N1 vaccine on Tuesday evening, so I was thinking that it was some kind of reaction. I dosed him up, and he rested, and rallied for dinner later that afternoon, but by 5:30pm, he was ready to relax and watch TV in my room and ended up falling asleep. He still had fever when I took him to bed, but he woke up perfectly fine.

My friend Lee, food blogger extraordinaire, posted some great pictures of the kids having fun (and for you people who prefer pets -- Shadow makes an appearance too). Amanda had a makeshift volleyball net up and ready, and the weather cooperated, clearing in time for them to enjoy some outdoor fun. She also posted my grandmother's Mixed Vegetable Casserole recipe, which we only eat once or twice a year, but I dare you to try. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Anyway, as Lee said in her post, it really was a lovely day. We brought together 8 adults and 12 -- yes 12 -- kids, and we all jelled as easily as the Cranberry salad. Isn't that the real spirit of Thanksgiving?

I'll have to post more about our trip to NYC on Saturday (picture above), but that went over well too. We had excellent weather, and my nieces and nephew (and seester) enjoyed their first trip to NYC, but are determined that it won't be their last!

2 comments:

Lee @ foodieplus4 said...

What a good-looking set of cousins!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Sounds delightful!! And I'm very impressed that you hosted and fed that many people.