Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I'd appreciate it if no one shared the lightbulb trick with him

Somewhere Kyle has learned the art of "faking it."

Last month he came downstairs on a Sunday morning dressed in sweatpants and a sweatshirt. While I do not dress him in a three-piece suit on Sunday mornings, I do make sure he has on nice jeans or cords and a comfy rugby shirt at the least. I told him that I was glad he had gotten dressed, but I reminded him it was Sunday and those weren't church clothes.

"I think I'm sick," he said. "Can you take my temperature?"

I accommodated this request, although he didn't seem at all sick to me. "It's normal," I reported.

"Darn!" he exclaimed, "I was hoping that I had fever. I don't want to go to church today."

When this same thing happened the next week, we ended up getting to the root of why he didn't want to go to church. We addressed the issue, and it hasn't come up again.

Today he came down for school asking to play computer. I reminded him that we don't play computer before school (in theory -- in reality, he sometimes plays for a bit if he's completely dressed and ready to go and we have a few minutes). "But I think I'm sick," he said.

"I don't," I said.

"How do you catch one of those fevers?" he asked.

He's fine right now, and decidedly not sick. But Amanda -- that's another story. She's complained off and on about a sore throat for the last few days. She's not a morning person, so I wonder how much of her feeling sick is just not getting going in the morning, because she is generally fine later. She went to school today, but it was a sort of borderline thing.

Last fall, Amanda had a horrible horrible cough for weeks -- a month probably. Other than that, she wasn't "sick," but I finally took her to the doctor who prescribed Nasonex for allergies. After a few days, her awful wracking cough was gone. I felt terrible for letting it go so long, but even normal coughs generally linger. And FYI, she hasn't been taking her allergy medicine, so I think the sore throat could be that.

After 11 years of parenting, this is one area that I'm still shaky on. When do I let them stay home from school? When do I take them to the doctor? If they have a fever or they are throwing up, then they for sure stay home. Other than that, I feel like I'm just rolling the dice, but in our house it usually ends up with them going to school.

So when do you let your kids stay home? When do you call the doctor?

7 comments:

Melissa @ Breath of Life said...

I'm fortunate because my closest friend is a doctor, so many times I call her and ask what she thinks about my girl going to school or to her pediatrician. She usually only stays home if it's a fever/throwing up thing.

Sounds like you're going to have your hands full with Kyle!

Kimberly said...

My daughter stayed home from school just yesterday. She's had a sore throat/cough for several weeks now and has just been making it through. But yesterday, even though it totally messed up my plans for the day, I kept her home and took her to the doc. No strep, thankfully, but swollen glands and a "throat infection" according to the doc. She's back at school today, although still coughing.

I'm usually more like you and only keep them home when they have a fever or are vomiting. Although if they seem as though they truly don't feel well, I'll cut them some slack. Because most times, if I send them to school anyway, I'll be picking them up early because they've spent all morning in the nurse's office.

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

I HATE going to the doctor! Mainly because I have to take all 4 kids with me. NOT fun. We battled a similar cold/cough/crud since Thanksgiving. For us it depends on where we're going and who will be there. But I still have toddlers/preschoolers who don't know how to blow their noses and stick everything in their mouth. Nothing says "we like you" like showing up with a snotty nosed, coughing 1 year old. :)

Nancy said...

It's a tough decision, isn't it? I also am generally of the fever/throwing up mind. My 6 year old, you know when he's sick. He's lethargic, pale, and very agreeable. :) If he voluntarily takes a nap, then that's pretty much the icing on the cake.

morninglight mama said...

Yeah, JAM went all of last year without one absence, and then on the third day of school this year had a slight fever in the morning. So, he stayed home, but was clearly just fine... other than fever or vomiting (which has yet to happen), he goes to school. Even though he's really, really talented at coming up with fantastic sounding illnesses/pains that he just might have. :)

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

I'm pretty tough and usually have the kids go to school unless they're running a fever or if they clearly look sick (glassy eyes, etc.). However, both kids prefer to go to school anyway, so we don't usually have to argue about it.

L. just woke up this morning crying, "I'm sick!!!" His nose is stuffy and he's been coughing for a week or so, so I don't know if this is something new or if we just have lingering germs. I agree that it's hard to know when to call the doctor with lingering things...I tend to wait a long time, but I've been known to regret that.

Kyle's antics made me smile. :)

planetnomad said...

Hahaha. I love that line: How do you catch one of those fevers? Awesome!

And don't ask me! Ilsa has an infected toe. Yesterday I took her to the dr who told me THREE TIMES that I'd waited too long! Yikes. She's having it removed tomorrow. I feel two inches tall. (We were treating it at home with hot soaks and antibiotic cream, but it wasn't clearing up and then suddenly got worse)