Tuesday, December 15, 2009

My Kid's Reading Picks -- December

It's the third Tuesday of the month, and my very favorite event at 5 Minutes for Books -- Kids' Picks. I know that some of you enjoy me sharing what Amanda is reading so that you can get ideas of what to feed your little bookworms or how to entice your reluctant readers.

I've heard of The Name of this Book Is Secret by Pseudonymous Bosch more than once (I saw it pop up several times on Laura's Imperfect Blog Nightstand or perhaps Kids' Picks). It sounds exactly like the clever, mysterious book that Amanda (age 11) loves to read. Our public library didn't carry it, so I never put my hands on it for her, but I had mentioned it to her before.

Then I was at TJ Maxx last month, and I saw it there! For only $3.99! If you don't shop the books and toys department at TJ Maxx, take my advice, and give it a try. I've also purchased paperback copies of the Mysterious Benedict Society and more recently the second book in that series for only $4.99 each (FYI, we are still enjoying our effort to Read Together, even though it's a long book. We're about 6 weeks into it, and on page 320, due to a few lapses. No matter. She's read it before, so she's not aching me to go more quickly, but she's still enjoying it, as am I, since it's my first read-through of it).

So I snatched up The Name of this Book Is Secret hoping to make it a stocking stuffer. However, last weekend, Amanda was moping around. She was bored, she had no books to read. We hadn't made a trip to the library that weekend, so I dug into my stash, and gave her this book.

It was one of those books were I could just see her devouring it. She read with feverish intensity and a rapt look on her face. I don't have any sort of plot summary to offer, or recommendations about who would enjoy it, but just a hearty thumbs up from Amanda. I was fairly certain that this would be her pick for this month, but I did confirm it last night with her.

The next time I went to TJ Maxx, they had the second Pseudonymous Bosch book in stock: If You're Reading This, It's Too Late, and I am keeping that one in reserve for a nice stocking stuffer. As I was making these links over at amazon, I noticed that a third book came out in September: This Book Is Not Good For You.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

=D I'm SO GLAD to know you also dig into stashes and delight your kids when you are bored! Jonathan gets annoyed with me for doing this sometimes because we've purchased gifts for Christmas, birthdays, etc. and I'm always whipping stuff out and handing it over on any given particular hard day. =D (Merely because it's fun.)

Here's to secret stashes that rush in and save the day, bringing joy to the little people.

*heh heh heh...I am SO mentioning that I am not the only one*

Bluestocking said...

Thanks for reminding me about the second book in the Mysterious Benedict Society!

Here is mine

morninglight mama said...

I've never heard of these, but perhaps we'll have to give them a try. I've come to trust Amanda's taste. :)

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Oh this is good to know...Adding this book to my list.

I keep a stash of kid books, too, and it often comes in handy!

Sherry said...

I heard Mr. Bosch speak on an author panel at the Texas Book Festival, and I've been wanting to try out one of his books ever since. Must do thatas soon as I get my Cybils reading wrapped up.

Oh, tell your daughter that when I saw Mr. Bosch he was wearing sunglasses and acting suitably "pseudonymous" and secretive.

Framed said...

I'm so glad to read that this book is good. I have it and the sequel sitting on the shelf.