Friday, December 18, 2009

Shows I Watch -- Over and Over

There are certain shows that are in syndication on TV that I will watch, over and over again. In fact, the two most notable -- Gilmore Girls and the West Wing -- I should be totally saturated on. For the last year, Terry and I have been going through the West Wing DVDs, season by season, and yet, when it's on at 8:00am on Bravo TV and I'm in my room getting dressed, I'll turn it on to check in with Josh and Toby and CJ (and Sam, who is long-gone from my DVD line-up). I don't care. I've seen the episodes, fairly recently even, and yet I can't not watch.

Gilmore Girls is probably even worse, as far as my need to watch (versus the practical reason). It airs on ABC Family at 11:00am each weekday, and I watch -- pretty much every weekday. I've watched pretty much every weekday (or many of them) for the past couple of years. Also sometime in the last couple of years, I Netflixed Season 7, because I had never seen it. So I would say that it's probably fair to say that I've seen every episode at least twice -- in recent years even. And yet I tune in. Again and again. Season 6 is on now, and I have to say despite public opinion that it got worse in the later years, seasons 5 and 6 have been delightful. I love that the characters have matured, with Rory finally acting like a young adult (including making some bad decisions), and Lorelei dishing up the tough love like a real parent.

My delight is so intense that I even eyed the "full series" set of DVDs at Costco. I won't buy them as long as I'm getting my daily fix on ABC Family, but when/if it goes off the air, it will probably be a TV series on DVD that is in my collection.

What about you? What shows (I guess I'm talking dramas here -- we'll do sit-coms later) do you watch over and over? Are you a fan of the Gilmore Girls or West Wing?

8 comments:

Melissa @ Breath of Life said...

I have all 7 seasons of The West Wing. I have the first 2 of Gilmore, because those were my favorite.

I can't not talk about comedies now...Frasier & M*A*S*H. I have the first few seasons of both on DVD, and want them all.

Carrie said...

I so love Gilmore Girls. I've watched Seasons 1-3 in full and then a smattering of episodes after that just to get a feel for what happened. I love the humor!

Cassandra said...

I love Gilmore Girls. Lorelei is my favorite character. I borrowed all the DVDs from a friend and watched every single episode over several months. Even my hubby got into it!

Shelley said...

I'm looking for a show to watch with my 15-year-old daughter. Would Gilmore Girls be good?

Jenny said...

One of the best Christmas presents I ever bought my dh was the entire set of West Wing dvds. We have watched them at least 5 times all the way through. Every night we watch an episode or two while falling asleep. And yet, even after watching each episode so many times, sometimes I find a joke or reference to something I missed before. We call it "smart TV" in our house. Sadly, they just don't make shows like the West Wing anymore.

Lisa writes... said...

I've never seen Gilmore Girls and evidently didn't know what I was missing.

I think you well know of my love for West Wing. I recently purchased Season 2 but also enjoy it on Bravo in the mornings especially when they were airing the final season. I'd forgotten how good the last several episodes were!

Sarah said...

I've only caught a few minutes of Gilmore Girls here and there. I liked the banter but didn't know who anyone was, so it was kinda lost on me. (I also GG spoofed on SNL or MadTV once) Anyway, we watch a lot of now-defunct sci-fi stuff (Buffy, Star Trek, Angel) and other late nineties shows (e.g. Northern Exposure). We were really engrossed in that HBO hit "Big Love", but Netflix pooped out on us - we're waiting for season 3 to become available.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Oh man, um...none? I just don't re-watch much TV at all. Now, I *have* been known to "review" the most recent season of Lost as I prepare for the new season, just to make sure I remember where everything stood. So if that counts then...Lost.