Saturday, December 12, 2009

TV -- Holiday style

Last weekend, I watched the Phineas and Ferb Christmas special with my kids. It cracked me up (as Phineas and Ferb -- and of course Candace -- usually do), and it was fun to share it with my kids. They've been advertising it all month, and the kids have been looking forward to it. It looks like it's on throughout this weekend as well.

But what really says "Christmas television programming" to me are those old-fashioned wooden puppety character Christmas shows (just how exactly are they made??). I think that my favorite is The Year without a Santa Claus, featuring cameos from the Heat Meiser and his colder older brother.

I guess that back in the day, we used to have to scour the TV Guide to see the one time that our favorites were on (the real newsprint TV Guide, not the on-screen right-at-hand guide we use now), but I've been so happy about ABC Family's 25 Days of Christmas that plays one of these favorites (along with some newer specials) every single day. Today there's a marathon (and I would bet there will be more before December 25), and The Year without a Santa Claus and Santa Claus is Coming to Town are both on later this afternoon.

I'm hoping that Phineas and Ferb's Christmas Vacation will be a new tradition that we look forward to each year, but I am so glad that the favorites that I looked forward to seeing are still around so that my children can watch them.

What's your favorite holiday special? Presently or from your childhood?

4 comments:

LuAnn said...

We enjoyed the Phineas & Ferb Christmas vacation too. We like to watch ABC Family's 25 days of Christmas also.

One of our family favorites is Nestor the Long Eared Donkey. It was on at 9 this morning.

Another favorite of ours is the Charlie Brown Christmas.

Watching the older specials brings back so many happy memories of Christmas past.

Susan (5 Minutes For Mom) said...

When I was little we just LOVED all the Christmas specials on TV. They were the best... I esp loved Charlie Brown.

unfinishedwork said...

Oooh thanks for the marathon tip! Mike loves the Year Without A Santa Claus so I'm going to tape that for him today. Oh and . . . thought you would like to know - I'm having a PJ'd day today (something I NEVER do!)

Dianne

planetnomad said...

We love Charlie Brown and Raymond Burr's "The Snowman." (British)