Tuesday, December 22, 2009

What's on my Nightstand -- December

It seems like I've been more of a mood reader than usual lately. I pick up the book that is next is my stack, and just can't get into it, so I browse my (rather full) shelves to find something else that is more appealing at the moment.

But this is a little easier, because I just went through my shelves finding some books to take to my in-laws for Christmas. We are driving on Thursday morning, and my husband drives, so I usually read at least a couple of the six-hour trip. In addition to that, there are a lot of quiet evenings at home when end up reading as well.

So here are the books that I picked out to take with me (far more than I'll read, but remember my mood issues might strike again):

The Water Giver: The Story of a Mother, a Son, and Their Second Chance

Candor

Unfinished Desires: A Novel

The Dead and the Gone (a sequel to Life As We Knew It that I only recently found out about -- there's a 3rd book, This World We Live In, coming out this Spring)

My husband and I are also taking a couple of nights right after Christmas to celebrate our anniversary. We've taken this particular trip before, and there's lots of watching DVDs and reading in front of the fireplace in our room, so I'm sure I'll read some there.

I'm currently reading four books, so I'd like to finish them:

Primal by Mark Batterson -- This is a great book about getting back to the heart of your relationship with God. He also writes with a greater focus on social issues (not just self), which is inspiring. My brother-in-law and his wife attend this "theater church" in DC, and Terry and visited with them once (but didn't hear Batterson preach). I absolutely love what they are doing there, trying to reach the mostly-younger city-dwelling demographic on Capitol Hill. Disclosure: This book was provided to me as part of a blog tour from Waterbrook Multnomah Books.

Unpacking Forgiveness --This is on my Kindle, so I'll be taking it on my travels as well. I just started it, but I like his style so far.

The Happiness Project
-- Also not too far into this one, but enjoying it

America, America -- A friend lent me this book months ago, and the mood finally struck me to read it. I began it during our long snowy weekend. I'm about 1/3 of the way through and loving it.


But here's the big unknown -- I'm a judge in the second round of the Cybils in the Middle Grade/Young Adult Nonfiction division (see what author Shannon Hale has to say about the Cybils awards HERE). The finalists (a shortlist of 5 or 6 from among all the nominees) will be announced on January 1, and my teammates and I will have until February 14 to decide on a winner, which means I'll have to put aside what I'm working on and focus on those books. Some interesting books were nominated. A few that I'm hoping will be handed down are

Charles and Emma: The Darwins' Leap of Faith

Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice

The Ominivore's Dilemma (I've been curious about this book, so I'd love to read the YA version instead of the whole thing).

We Are the Weather Makers: The History of Climate Change

Almost Astronauts: 13 Women Who Dared to Dream

If I Had a Hammer: Building Homes and Hope with Habitat for Humanity (I got copies of these last three, so I will read them regardless)

*All of the links to these Cybils books are Cybils links. If you purchase a book listed, the commission will go towards the awards.

So, it's a little up in the air (and I'm sure I'll deviate from the list as my mood strikes), but it looks like it's going to be a good month in the pages!

5 comments:

blogschmogme.wordpress.com said...

Great reads I'm going to have to come back and look these over better. I'm curious about the weather one and several others. Thanks
Jessie

Carrie said...

Primal is on a lot of people's lists this month and everyone is saying positive things about it which is good to hear. It sounds really intriguing.

I envy you your ability to read in the car. I cannot do it. But then we also aren't up for many road trips so I'm ok. =)

Nise' said...

I always have grand plans to read more non-fiction.. Got Candor on my TBR list.

Merry Christmas!

Brittanie said...

I read in the car too. I love the 6 hour drive to the beach each summer. :)

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

I have Unpacking Forgiveness on my bookshelf, but haven't read it yet. Definitely looks good.