Friday, January 01, 2010

First Lines from 2009

We rang in the new year with some friends last night. The four of us old folks and the six little people (ranging from 4 to 11) not only made it to midnight, but about 12:30! We missed the drop of the ball, because we were watching Travis Pastrana jump his car over 230 feet of water on ESPN. Last year we watched the motorcycle stunt that was held in Las Vegas, and I think that it was more exciting.

The girls are upset that we missed the countdown, so we'll have to remedy that next year. However, they were staying away from us, because Lee and I had been dancing and singing as we played the "name that tune" game using the music channels on Direct TV, so they ignored us when we told them it was midnight.

To ring in the new year on the blog, I am participating in the "first lines meme" that I saw on Suko's Notebook. The idea is to print the first line from the first post of each month.

I was surprised that almost every month I posted on either the first or the second, considering that it was not at all rare for me to have 3 and 4 day spells with no new posts in 2009. I have linked the entire post to the month, if you are interested in reading more.

Happy New Year!

January

We have so enjoyed this very low-key week.

February:

Well, I wasn't technically speaking of potties, but I think that being the mother of a four-year-old son means that I could be talking about it or thinking about it or cleaning it up at any given time.

March:

Terry went to work today for the first time in two weeks.

April:

I lied. . . or maybe because it was April Fool's Day, I can say I fooled you.

May:

So, how did we do reading together in April?

June:

In Kyle's preschool, there are three of them with birthdays in a 5 day period.

July:

I spent all day doing laundry.

August:

I read Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier for the first time.

September:

"I guess I'd better go make my tacos," my friend Andrea said before hanging up the phone.

October:

In lieu of a real post, how about some links?

November:

Terry was gone for 7 days last week on a business trip to Asia.

December:

The kids and I had an absolutely fabulous night at the first-ever sleepover in Madame Tussauds' Wax Museum in Times Square

4 comments:

morninglight mama said...

Happy new year!! We also had the challenge of wanting to watch the ball AND the jump, so we DVR'd the jump and watched it at 12:05. :) I agree that the thing last year was more nerve-wracking!

Suko said...

Wasn't this a fun meme? You have a lot of variety here. Thank you for the mention. Happy New Year, Jennifer!

Sarah said...

I made it to 11pm and then hit the hay. When Liam woke up at 3:30am, Kevin rolled over and groggily wished me a happy new year. =)

Happy New Year!!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Oh what a fun meme! (Though I'd be a couple days late, I might borrow this one in the coming days.)

We had a quiet New Year's Eve, and put the 3-year-old in bed by 8:00. Chad and I would have been in bed by 10:00 if we didn't have an 11-year-old who really, really wanted to stay up until midnight. So the three of us did...and I think I'm still paying for it with exhaustion. :)