Monday, January 04, 2010

Forget Your Troubles, C'Mon Get Happy

I just finished reading The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin, and I loved it. It's a book that I enjoyed reading because of the good writing, research and facts, and the humorous tone. But more than that, it honestly inspired me.
I am generally a happy person. However, there are decisions that I make

Gretchen Rubin has inspired me to read Aristotle.

But more than that, I've decided to work on some of the areas mentioned. I do not have a year-long attention span, because I want to jump right in -- NOW. But I have sort of lumped together many of the areas that she worked on, and I'm going to tackle them over the next three months.

Here are my goals and briefly what that means to me, in a practical sense:

January: Be Healthy

  • Specifically I need to make some doctor's appointments -- yearly female checkup (that's way overdue), and a dermatologist check-up that's way way overdue. Add the dentist to that list as well.
  • As far as physical health, I want to focus on healthy eating, I always do best when I make an effort to eat lots of fruits and vegetables. I like fruits and vegetables, but I generally eat junk instead.
  • In the Happiness Project book, Gretchen Rubin talks a lot about getting rid of clutter. This is something that I know puts me in a better frame of mind. Whenever I return from a clutter-free vacation home or hotel, the clutter in my own life almost suffocates me. I've already gotten a jump on this one by cleaning out my closet earlier this week. More to come!
  • I also want to be sure not to neglect my spiritual health. I am not going to set a specific goal here, because then it becomes a box I can check off, and that's not the purpose either, but I am indeed happier when I am in a closer relationship with God and allowing Him to help me tame those bad habits and attitudes I have.
For February, my focus will be "Be Kind," encompassing my relationships with my family and others.

For March, my focus will be "Be Responsible," in which I will work on my work habits and money and the use of my time.

I will write more specific goals on each of those months.

I highly recommend this book. Please check out my full review of this book at 5 Minutes for Mom. You can enter to win one of two copies (U.S. and Canadian addresses).

I liked it so much that I added it to my list of 5 Star Reads.

Do you make goals? Or are there areas of your character that you are trying to work on? Are you happy?

4 comments:

morninglight mama said...

I've heard so much about this book lately, and I'm quite intrigued, especially after reading The Geography of Bliss last year. Very nice review!!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Oh I like this approach, and look forward to hearing more throughout the year. The book sounds like a good one.

Rebecca :) said...

I love her website and I would love to read her book and start my own Happiness Project.

Gerri Beckerman said...

I have been very curious about this book and I am about to go purchase it online, hoping I can get it shipped quickly, because after all I have read about it, I can hardly wait to get it. I think I'll set myself some goals and get happier.