Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Little Taste of Sunshine

By New Year's Eve, even my foodie friend was feeling like she was in food overload. Since only her family and my family would be bringing in the New Year together, we decided to keep the food fairly simple.

Along with a few other items, I put out some veggies and hummus. For Lee's healthy addition, she sliced up some oranges. After so much excess, the oranges were so good. We all devoured them like they were -- well, like they were candy.

Lee volunteered her secret: "They were just the cheap bagged oranges from Stop and Shop."

Since I've been making a concerted effort to eat more fruits and vegetables, I picked up some of those oranges this week. I sliced some up for an afternoon snack for Amanda.

"These are so good," she said, agreeing with our assessment that it often is best not to fool with Mother Nature.

In this January deep freeze, those Florida oranges are an easy way to get a little taste of sunshine.


1 comment:

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

My kids have been loving the little mandarin oranges this winter. They are easy to peel and small enough for the kids to each eat a whole one alone. Plus the peels in the garbage make my kitchen smell nice. :)