Thursday, January 28, 2010

My Favorite Part of American Idol

A few weeks ago, I mentioned that Amanda and I were jumping on the American Idol bandwagon. We are now enthusiastic and eager members of the community of fans.

I wrote about some of the contestants who I liked and who intrigued me, and I was swayed by the emotional pull of all of those young hopefuls. There have been a few who have stood out since then, like the young Broadway kid from the Color Purple last night who wrote his own song, the Barney girl from last night, the young tatooed goth-ish Mom. . . . but most of them are all a blur. I think that I thought I'd remember my favorites from these auditions once we got to Hollywood, but now I realize that I'm not going to remember a thing. And I guess I'm okay with that.

Amanda and I have been watching together, and it's been fun to do that, but until I found out that Joe Jonas was the guest judge in the second half of the show, I had told her that she could watch until 8:30, and then had to go to bed, since she has to wake up early on Thursdays.

She reluctantly agreed, remembering that I had said from the beginning that she might not be able to stay up to watch every show every week. She did not argue (she's learning!!), but later quietly said, "If I can't stay up, will you not watch it either?"

"I probably will watch it."

"But it's my show. I was the one who asked if we could watch it," (aside to you, my readers: I do not think this is true) "and so I don't think that you should watch it without me."

Interesting approach, dear daughter.

We both watched the whole thing, and I'll share my real highlight of the evening: Neil Patrick Harris. Love him. Have loved him ever since college when I watched Doogie every single week.

Ironically, thought there are shows that I watch simply because of who is in them, when How I Met Your Mother premeired, I watched an episode to see what Doogie was up to. "He looks weird," I thought. "He's all smarmy. And the show is kind of stupid." So I didn't watch.

How wrong I was. Because after watching a few episodes on an airplane, I was hooked. I love the show, and I love Neil Patrick Harris even more now. So much so that he's no longer Doogie, but Barney, or actually, just plain ole Neil Patrick Harris.

Oh, was I talking about American Idol? Neil Patrick Harris, guest judge, looked great, don't you think? He was a little mean, but he really took charge of the evening. I say, "Bring him back for more." For that matter, I'd go for more Neil Patrick Harris anywhere.

Lest you think that I am being inappropriate with my love for NPH, let me say that he is "my type" and show you a picture of my husband (you can compare it to this photo of Neil Patrick Harris). There are similarities. And he is fully aware and not threatened in the least by my little NPH fixation.


And thank you for indulging me this little immature sidebar. Certainly I am not the only one with this issue (regarding NPH or someone else)??

4 comments:

Jen Rouse said...

You have seen NPH in Dr. Horrible's Singalong Blog, right? Because he was totally brilliant in that. And I'm not being sarcastic or anything. I think he was really amazing and I love him in How I Met Your Mother too. Also I had a picture of him in my locker in 1991 or so.

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

My hubby loves watching Dr. Horrible. It's his kind of humor. For me, I always think Doogie when I see him.

Nancy said...

NPH is awesome, we've watched How I Met Your Mother since the beginning and have loved it, and Barney is a big part of the reason why.

Also I think I'm the only person in the world who didn't really like Dr. Horrible.

Laura said...

LOL, I'm that way with Kirk Cameron :)