Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What's on My Nightstand -- January

It's the fourth Tuesday of the month, which for me means that I have the opportunity to look at all the books that I've collected in recent weeks and months and try to figure out which ones I'm actually going to read. I like this exercise.

I'm about halfway through two books that I'll finish soon (before the end of the month, I hope): An Irish Country Girl by Patrick Taylor and dear Anne of Avonlea for Carrie's L.M. Montgomery Challenge.

Amanda and I finally finished reading the Mysterious Benedict Society (linked to my review), and we dove right in to number two in the series, The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey. It's not quite as hefty as the first one, and I'm hoping we'll make significant progress this month. Reynie, Kate (oh how I love Kate), Sticky, Mr. Benedict and Number Two are like old friends already.

Toxic Friends: The Antidote for Women Stuck in Complicated Friendships WAS on my Nightstand months ago, and I sort of lost it (it got abandoned in the bottom of a bookbag), but I've found it and would like to get to it.

There are a few memoirs that are right on the top of my pile:

Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage by Elizabeth Gilbert
Healing Hearts: A Memoir of a Female Heart Surgeon
Hear No Evil: My Story of Innocence, Music, and the Holy Ghost
and then maybe Far From the Land: An Irish Memoir

And two novels I can't wait to get to:

The Postmistress
Wench

The are some tween/teen books that I sort of want to read (in theory), but haven't been reaching for in practice:

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (of Uglies fame)
The Dead and the Gone (sequel to Life As We Knew It)
William S. and the Great Escape

Obviously I won't read all of these, but I think that 3 memoirs (none are too long) and 2 novels are doable for sure.

See what other people are reading at What's on Your Nightstand at 5 Minutes for Books.

19 comments:

girlsinwhitedresses said...

I like that you read the Benedict Society books ... my 12 year old loves them, and was describing them similar to how you did - that the characters are like friends. I'll have to read them - I think the size is intimidating me!

Carrie said...

Naturally I'm ecstatic that you like MBS so much so no need to comment on THAT (really).

Hmmm...ALL of the memoirs on your stack sound intriguing to me. I'm probably most interested in catching your thoughts on Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage.

Fun, fun, fun!

anner1010 said...

The Benedict Society books just get better and better. We've read all three outloud...they move so quickly that it doesn't take long. You are going to love them all!

Lisa notes... said...

All your books are new to me. Looks like a great list though, and several I should write down to read either on my own or with my daughter. Thanks!

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I'll have to get the rest of The Mysterious Benedict Society series.

Here is mine

bekahcubed said...

I too am interested in hearing your thoughts on Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage.

Your list looks like fun.

mommablogsalot said...

I really want to read Leviathan also but have been holding off because I have so many other books already waiting for me - great list, I'm off to check out a couple that I didn't recognize.

Monica @ Paper Bridges said...

Done with Committed, blogging about it now. Looking forward to what you have to say.

Lisa writes... said...

I read the first MBS, per the recommendation of our mutual (and enthusiastic) friend but haven't gotten around to the second and third. So many books, so little time!

Lauren said...

Before I got to the line where you said, "Obviously I won't read all these...", It thought, "What a stack. She better get busy!"

I look forward to seeing which books you get to and reading the reveiws!

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

Jennifer, I just realized I've been commenting with "Profile Not Available". Sorry!

Brittanie said...

I have read the first MBS book and the second one is on my TBR stack for the future. My 12 year old girl cousin really likes the series and is ready for me to catch up with her. lol

morninglight mama said...

I am also looking forward to hearing what you have to say about Committed, and I'm excited to read the first MBS this month, too!

Nise' said...

I want to read Wench too. Got MBS on my TBR list.

Beth said...

I am looking forward to reading An Irish Country Girl and one day I'll get around to the 3rd Mysterious Benedict Society.

Cassandra said...

I really want to read Committed, as soon as I can get my hands on it at the library. And The Postmistress looks really interesting!

Book Story Lori said...

I'm waiting on a copy of Hear No Evil to review. Looking forward to reading it.

The Unsell Family said...

An Irish Country Girl looks like a book that I would love! Glad to learn about it.

Thanks for fixing the link on my blog!

barbarah said...

So many intriguing choices!!

I still need to get to the Mysterious Benedict Society.