Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Chronicles of Ancient Darkness Series

Yes, yes, we made it to Disneyworld and had a wonderful wonderful time. We've been home less than 24 hours, but I do plan to post more about our trip soon.

But today I will participate in 5 Minutes for Books' Kids' Picks as I dip my toe back into the bloggy waters after a much-appreciated vacation break. Can you believe that I didn't even take my laptop?? I was at a blogging conference and didn't take my laptop! It was wonderful to be disconnected for almost a week.

Generally on the 3rd Monday night of the month (or before I rush her out the door on the 3rd Tuesday morning of the month), I am either verifying what I think her favorite read for the month was, or reviewing all the books I remember her reading and asking her to pick the one she liked.

In the weeks since our last Kids' Picks carnival, Amanda has read books 3 - 5 in the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series. As she was reading them, she said, "I love this series. It's awesome! I'm choosing this for sure for my pick this month."

Wolf Brother is the first book in the series and was a Nutmeg selection last year (our state's book award,which children select by popular vote). She read it some time ago, but only realized it was a series recently as some of her friends were reading it. The deeper in she got, the more she has loved it.

If your kids enjoy the Warriors series, this might be one they'd like. Conversely, as Amanda finished book 5 in the series, she tried to read book one in that series, but it didn't draw her in quickly enough. Apparently the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness are very exciting, which is key in this 11-year-old reader's book.

Good news for Amanda and other Chronicles of Ancient Darkness fans -- Chronicles of Ancient Darkness #6: Ghost Hunter comes out in June!

4 comments:

Amy said...

I've never heard of these. Sounds good!

Carrie said...

Haven't heard of them either. That's another awesome reason to have a tween in your house. They find books you wouldn't!

I can't wait to hear about your trip!

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I haven't heard of this one! Here is mine

blogschmogme.wordpress.com said...

Yikes, I stopped at the demon posessed bear bit. :) I'm much too suggestable. lol

Jessie