Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Florida Bound??????

My family and I are supposed to be going to Florida to attend the Disney Social Media Moms Conference this week. I loved being invited on the first Mommy Bloggers Disney trip back in April 2008. So I knew that they would do it up right.

We went back and forth, because taking a 6th grader out of school for two days isn't easy (they already had two of the days off). But the value of the trip, and the fact that we've never been and been meaning to go, and the fact that I knew that Maria Bailey and BSM Media would definitely give us the time of our lives won out, and we booked it.

Our flight was supposed to leave on Wednesday at 10:20am from New York. There's a big storm a'coming -- either overnight Tuesday or Wednesday morning, so we changed our flight to the 7:00am flight, thinking that it might, just might, get out.

We've been praying for wisdom to know what to do. We thought we'd stay at an airport hotel tonight so we'd be there.

Early this morning we were alerted that the 7:00am flight was canceled, and they put us on a flight leaving at noon. There is NO way that a flight is going to take off at noon on Wednesday. Well, a small chance, but the forecast is for 9 - 12 inches of snow at the airports and once it starts it won't stop until midnight Wednesday!

My husband is on the phone with Delta airlines right now, and it looks like we may be able to get to Atlanta on a 7:00pm flight tonight (done--it's done!). We'd stay overnight in Atlanta, and then arrive in Orlando around 1pm, about the same time as before.

I know that others are faced with the same problem -- those who are trying to get out from the areas that were blasted with snow over the weekend, as well as those trying to get out on Wednesday.

I seriously felt like I was going to throw up this morning when everything was uncertain. Now that we have a plan, I'm thrilled to be on my way to the "happiest place on earth." And I do thank God for wisdom to know what to do, and the ability to do it. I think everything is going to be okay.

My friends have given my advice and suggestions, but go ahead and chime in right here:
What rides/events/attractions should we make sure we don't miss? Our evening meals and entertainment are mostly taken care of, but I'd love to know which rides or shows at the parks that you love.

9 comments:

Lee @ foodieplus4 said...

Fantastic that you can get out tonight! So glad it worked out and that you can relax a bit while packing. Have fun!!

Carrie said...

WHEW! Whirlwind.

HAVE FUN! So glad it's coming together for you and "see" ya when you get back!

Lauren said...

Have a magical trip. I think I've already told you some major attractions, but here are some we recommend.

MK: Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Peter Pan's Flight, Pooh, Mickey's Philharmagic, Goofy's Barnstormer (for Kyle), Pirates of the Carribean, Buzz Lightyear

Epcot: Soarin, Test Track, Mission Space (my kids like this, I don't)

AK: Expedition Everest, Safari, It's Tough to Be a Bug, the Lion King (great show)

HS: Toy Story Mania, Tower of Terror, Rock-N-Roller Coaster

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Ack! This winter weather is wreaking all kinds of havoc. Glad you guys have a plan and you'll get out of Dodge before the weather hit. The snow just started here... light so far, but we're supposed to get 6-10.

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

Glad you're able to get out! We're supposed to get 4-8 inches starting after midnight tonight. It's hard to believe right now with clear sunny skies! :) I'd like to have one or 2 more snow storms before the season's over.

Nancy said...

You're probably (hopefully!) already there, have a magical time! I am unbelievably jealous. :)

My must sees:

MK: Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Pooh, Small World, Buzz Lightyear.

Epcot: Test Track, the Seas w/Nemo & friends, Soarin', Mission:Space

DHS: this is my least favorite park and would skip it altogether if it weren't for Rock 'n Roller Coaster and Toy Story Midway Mania! I hate rides that drop so have never been on Tower of Terror.

AK: Safari, Expedition Everest. Try to see either The Lion King or Finding Nemo shows - both are phenomenal and even my show-hating husband loved the Nemo show.

One warning - watch out for 3-D shows. I noticed Lauren recommended It's Tough To Be a Bug and Kyle may be a bit freaked by it. Amanda too, if she doesn't like bugs!

Martha said...

I hope you made it! We are expecting 2 inches of snow tomorrow here in Texas.

I love all the suggestions you were given. I'd do bug's life. Jason hates 4D shows but we made him go anyway because we weren't going to miss out (he also was 4 and half when we went). Magic Kingdom is where we ended up going on rides multiple times so definitely go there.

Just ride everything!!! When are you really going to get back?

Sarah said...

I hope you guys are having a blast!!!

Can't wait to see the photos! Please be sure to get one of Terry hugging Goofy or Donald Duck. =)

Musings of a Housewife said...

I hope you're having a great time!