Friday, February 05, 2010

The Miracle Worker on Broadway

I have really enjoyed my association with a PR firm that represents some shows on Broadway.* They recently contacted me and asked if I was interested in helping them promote The Miracle Worker on Broadway, at the Circle in the Square Theater. I said yes in a heartbeat, because I was fascinated by Helen Keller when I was younger. Then I checked out the information about the play, and I see that it's performed in the round, which I think will be interesting and intimate. And it's an absolutely star-studded and talented cast. We enjoy seeing people we "know" from TV and movies in shows, but I always chide myself for caring that it's a familiar face. All the actors we've seen on Broadway have been fabulous, and honestly "stars" often bring in the non-typical playgoer, and they clap and whoop and holler when they see that person on stage, which is distracting -- but I digress.

Amanda will be seeing The Miracle Worker with me in a couple of weeks, and it's especially meaningful because when I was her age or a bit younger, I was fascinated by Helen Keller. I read biographies of her (which led to reading a whole string of novels featuring blind girls, including Light a Single Candle, about a girl who went to get her seeing eye dog, which still stands out in my mind). I also learned the alphabet in sign language from the back of one of my books.

Tickets are now on sale through August 1, so if you are planning a trip to New York this spring or summer, you might want to consider this show. I will be posting a full review later this month.

In the meantime, I'm revisiting my childhood obsession by reading her biography Helen Keller: The Story of My Life (which is selling new for $2 from Dover Thrift editions -- thrifty indeed!).

Were you obsessed with a certain real-life or fictitious figure who you met through books when you were younger that led you to dig even deeper?

------

*All the Broadway shows that I've seen, linked to my thoughts.

I invite you to subscribe to my feed, or follow me @jenndon on twitter.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Well, you know who my obsession is about. =)

What an awesome opportunity.

I'm gritting my teeth thinking about New York. =X

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

I don't remember being obsessed with anyone growing up. But I did enjoy reading Helen Keller. She was an amazing woman. This show sounds amazing also.