I did publish some reviews of books that I had On My Nightstand last month that interested several of you, so I invite you to check out my reviews of Elizbeth Gilbert's Committed, An Irish Country Girl, Wench (with giveaway still open), and Healing Hearts. I also just posted a review yesterday (with giveaway) of I am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced.
There are two books I must carry over from last month:
- Hear No Evil: My Story of Innocence, Music, and the Holy Ghost
- and Far From the Land: An Irish Memoir (which I just started)
As for what's next?? I don't really know. I'm not feeling any compulsion to read one thing over another.
So maybe I'll let you pick which book I'll read for sure (in addition to the two above). In your comment, tell me which one or two sound really interesting to you and I'll be sure to get to them this month.
I actually have a lot of middle grade and Young Adult novels waiting for me --
- Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (of Uglies fame)
- The Dead and the Gone (sequel to Life As We Knew It, and the 3rd book is coming soon!)
- William S. and the Great Escape
- I should also get to Trixie Belden and The Mystery Off Glen Road, my ONE selection for the Children's Mystery Challenge.
- Elizabeth Noble's The Girl Next Door
- The House of Tomorrow could be a bit hit or a miss -- I can't decide
- I accepted a review copy of Chef: A Novel by Jaspreet Singh with my South Asian Authors Challenge in mind, and I'll probably get to it quickly.
- Toxic Friends: The Antidote for Women Stuck in Complicated Friendships (carried over -- AGAIN!)
- Searching for Whitopia: An Improbable Journey to the Heart of White America -- the good reviews at amazon just got me more motivated to finally read this, starting now!
- From Every End of This Earth: 13 Families and the New Lives They Made in America
Another fun thing that I'm doing this year with my reading notebook is trying to track the number of books and pages that I read each month. January totals: I read 4 novels, 3 memoirs and 4 young adult books, and started or finished 3 more, for a total of 2548 pages read.
Check out more participants' Nightstand lists at 5 Minutes for Books the 4th Tuesday of every month, and don't forget to weigh in with your opinion about books you'd like to see me complete before the next Nightstand carnival!