Thursday, February 25, 2010

TV on DVD: Back to the Beginning

One of the really cool things having TV shows on DVD is the ability to go back to the beginning. However, in cases in which I'm rewatching some of my favorite shows, the experience is even richer, one is able to enjoy the beginning with the full knowledge of the end.

Dare I admit it? Can I? Is this a safe zone? There's a show that I've gone back to the beginning on, starring one of my favorite actors. Yes, yes, thanks to Netflix, I watched the first disc of the first season of

Doogie Howser, M.D.

And in case you were wondering, let me tell you that early 90's TV is as bad as you think it might be. Early 90's sitcoms about hormone-crazed sixteen-year-old boys is even worse, even if one of them is a genius.

I'm glad that Neil Patrick Harris was able to overcome his teen actor roots, but it's fun seeing glimpses of him -- the same person, but so young -- on the small screen.

I had watched it wondering if Amanda and I might be able to watch it together, but since it's pretty sex-crazed, I think that I'll spare her, mild as the allusions might be. But I might keep watching, because -- well, why not? It can only better, right? And honestly, it may get less stereotypically hormonal as the season progresses, and maybe she can watch some of the other episodes with me.

Brothers and Sisters

This show has really drawn me in. So, while I'm still trying to keep up with Season 4 (online mostly), I've also bought seasons 1 and 2. These characters are so richly developed, and I actually started watching because of Rob Lowe (see below), who I might love almost as much as Neil Patrick Harris.

West Wing

The show of shows. I've mentioned a time or fourteen that I have enjoyed this. Terry and I are about to start watching the final season on DVD after a long break, and I've actually enjoyed season 1 again, as well as watching on Bravo in the mornings on occasion. And for those of you who haven't been watching, Season 1 just started yesterday, so you can get in on the whole series if you hurry!

This show, more than many, presented this full cast of fully developed characters, even from the beginning. It stands up.

Gilmore Girls

Gilmore Girls just started over on ABC Family as well. This is a show that I've also watched over and over and OVER, mostly just catching it when it's on ABC Family. I don't even like all the characters, and I don't get what they do what they do, but I love the show.

It stands up to the test of going back to the beginning as well. But especially with Rory going through adolescence, the writers were not afraid to let her out of her stereotypical box, and I love that. In fact, I loved Rory even more when she made bad choices, because don't we all?

Beverly Hills 90210

As I mentioned, I received season 1 of this series from the Love Your Veggies folks at Hidden Valley Ranch, and I watched the first few episodes. It's okay. Like the Gilmore Girls, the kids at 90210 grew up, and I'm not sure that watching 90's high schoolers is going to hold my interest. But we'll see.

See above about early 90's TV being pretty bad.
Raising the Bar

After TNT sent me an episode about posting kids' photos online of Raising the Bar, I was hooked on that legal drama. I added Season 1 to my Netflix queue, and was happy to watch more of the same, but I was really disappointed. The episodes in the first season seemed to be pushing the bar, not raising it. I am assuming that season 3 of this summer-drama will return in May or June. Wait -- breaking news! As I was searching to find out, I found out that Raising the Bar has been canceled and there will be no season 3. Bummer, but I'll live. I'm not that invested.

Glee

And even though I can't go "back to the beginning," I think I'm going to jump on the Glee bandwagon when the season finishes out in April. They do have the first have of Season 1 of Glee on DVD right now, but I think I'll hold off on purchasing it until I know if I like it, especially because it's not even the whole first season, but it's amazing how quickly they can move on something like that, to cash in on the success and love that people have for this series.

We are also looking forward to The Celebrity Apprentice. Actually, I could do without the celebrity part, but that's the way they roll now. Last season was pretty good, actually. Terry and I enjoy scheming and yelling at the characters. It is what it is.

We're still watching American Idol, but honestly 2 hours for 12 songs?? I might pull out my hair (or it might drive me to buy a DVR).

And I've been really enjoying the Olympics. I don't always care, but I think I'll miss it when it's over.

6 comments:

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

What? No Saved By the Bell in your list? :) We watched a couple of episodes of MacGyver last night on hulu. Watching these old shows always makes me wonder if we'll look back in 10 years and laugh at today's current Must Watch shows. :)

Jen Rouse said...

Oh, I love Glee. My favorite new show.

Martha said...

I am so laughing that you are watching Doogie again! I know all those shows are awful now. Hannah laughs at us. We have been watching Glee.....it's good but it makes me uncomfortable with how stereotypical it is, or maybe it's because my daughter is in high school. She is trying out for drill team next month!!! Who would have thought that of my daughter.

planetnomad said...

I have missed most TV shows so I watch them online occasionally, and I always start at the beginning. We actually just bought seasons 3 and 4 of west wing from a guy who was leaving, and watched that show for the first time. We can see it's well made, but my husband isn't enjoying it because, as he says, he's sick of politics. He never likes TV shows though. It's frustrating, because I do.

planetnomad said...

I have missed most TV shows so I watch them online occasionally, and I always start at the beginning. We actually just bought seasons 3 and 4 of west wing from a guy who was leaving, and watched that show for the first time. We can see it's well made, but my husband isn't enjoying it because, as he says, he's sick of politics. He never likes TV shows though. It's frustrating, because I do.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Just watching Lost here...and my usual Food Network shows. I'm so boring.