Tuesday, February 16, 2010

You're Never Too Old for Disney Magic

This was my kids' first trip to Walt Disney World. I've been keenly aware of the time ticking by, and I didn't want them to miss out on the magic of the Magic Kingdom.

My husband We did firmly believe that they should be old enough to really remember it, since we knew that a trip to Disney was not going to be a yearly vacation for us.

Amanda's 11, but she still wasn't too old to enjoy hugging a few characters . . . .






Or to delight in a Mickey-shaped treat. . . .


And believe it or not, SHE is the one who begged us to wait thirty minutes to ride Dumbo:


She loved Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Space Mountain, which were not too heart-pounding for her (Do you like my attempt to get one of those cool roller coaster reaction photos from the car in front of them?).


And of course, there are plenty of tween and teen oriented activities, including the American Idol experience, which was a lot of fun.


More than once she told us, "I want to come to Disney every year for our vacation." I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen unless I get invited to attend another Disney Social Media Moms event* to which families are invited (in which case we'd go again next month).

In spite of thinking that it might be a "once in a lifetime experience," I'm pretty sure that we'll be back sometime. I don't think that the magic is going to fade anytime soon.

Don't we look like we enjoyed every minute of it?





I invite you to subscribe to my feed, or follow me @jenndon on twitter.


*Disclosure: I attended the Disney Social Media Moms conference, for which I paid I fee, but received a great family trip to Walt Disney World that far exceeded what I paid out. Disney did not tell me what to say, nor require anything from me in exchange for the benefit I received.

9 comments:

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

Your rule that everyone be old enough to remember the trip is a good one. My parents took me to Disney Land (in CA) when I was 3. I remember riding a bus to CA and that's it.

We hope to take our kids to Disney World one day. But I've added to your rule - everyone needs to be able to feed, walk and go to the bathroom by themselves. :)

Carrie said...

Our rule (*ahem* Jonathan's rule) is that everyone needs to be able to walk by themselves next time we go. ;) And I think by the time that happens, they'll have the memory capacity to be able to remember the trip for a long, long time!

Lisa Marie Miles said...

That looks awesome! I've never been, but my husband went seven times as a kid. We can't wait to take our four year old some day.

Debra said...

I always swore I wouldn't take kiddos til they were old enough to walk on their own. Ha! I took my daughter at 16 months and then last week for the conference at 2 1/2. Yep, my back hurts from carrying her multiple times, but both times amazing albeit different experiences. Wouldn't change it for the world.

It was great meeting you and hopefully we can do this again next year! :-)

http://www.afrugalfriend.net

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Love the pictures -- looks like you guys had a great time!

That Thunder Mountain Railroad is one of my favorite rides -- good and fun. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also one of my favorite "rides." :)

My minimum age requirement is "over 4," and we're hoping to go when L. is 4.5, which I think should work out well.

Lauren said...

These pictures are wonderful! I am glad to know you all got a taste of the magic. It truly is a wonderful place to enjoy as a family.

morninglight mama said...

Oh, such fun, and I'm glad everyone found the stuff that made them happy!!

(Also, I can't help but point out that I am a Mom, I am Social, and I enjoy the Media... I need to get me a gig like this!) :)

Lisa writes... said...

I want to go! Do you know we've never taken our boys? Does that make us bad parents or something? What does it say about our culture that I think it might?

Looks like a great trip!!!

Kimberly said...

Looks like you all had fun!

We plan to go to Disney some day. We also want our kids to all be old enough to remember. They are almost there. :)