Sunday, March 07, 2010

Hap Bir to Amanda


All week Amanda has been saying, "Sunday is my half-birthday." I'm not sure why eleven years into her life she's started to think that a half-birthday is signifcant. But she is (maybe she finally figured out the whole calendar thing).

On the way to church today, she said, "Kyle, it's my half-birthday. Aren't you going to tell me happy birthday?"

Terry suggested, "Since it's your half-birthday, maybe he should say Hap Bir."

I thought that was a good suggestion, and I'll go so far as to honor her request for celebration here on the ol' blog.

Eleven and a half. It's been quite a half-year already, with more growing up to come.

We've never "celebrated" half-birthdays before (and beyond this mention, we aren't starting now), but I know some people do.

Do you?


7 comments:

Martha said...

We don't celebrate but all the kids know when it is and will point it out!

Carolyn said...

We don't celebrate (then again, this year we have half birthdays both on Christmas Eve and Easter) but it's a big deal to now be able to say 4 and a half. My guy says, "It happened a long time ago, when I was just 4, not 4 and a half..."

Carrie said...

Well, Hap Bir then! =D

We don't celebrate them other, but I'm not opposed. But we probably won't. =)

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

We've never celebrated half birthdays. However, my Ben turned 5 on Feb. 22 and has managed to stretch the celebration out a couple of extra weeks. We're still waiting for one gift to arrive so who knows when this birthday will finally end.

Nancy said...

We don't, other than a picture with a special bear to commemorate the event. Though I stopped that at age 6. My kids do like being able to say their X and a half, though they're too young to realize it's their half birthday until I point it out.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Hap Bir, Amanda! (though it's now actually Hap Bir plus one day!)

We don't go out of our way to celebrate half-birthdays, but if I remember, I wish the kids a happy half-birthday. And mine falls on Groundhog Day, so I always remind my family that it's *my* half-birthday on February 2nd. :)

Sarah said...

Liam's hap bir is Christmas! So yes we celebrate! =)