Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Links and Likes

I am cramming right now. My book report for Lord of the Flies is due today, and I haven't quite finished reading it!

Of course, I don't have to do anything. It's a voluntary bookclub, and just because I manage the site that's hosting it doesn't mean I have to post. But I will. I plan to have my review up before nightfall. I do like this encouragement to re-visit the classics. Feel free to read some of the reviews that have already linked to the Classics Bookclub post. You might find some books you want to read.

I've been a bit scarce around here, not because of lack of ideas, but lack of time to get them down in writing. I have written two more pieces for Newtown Patch.

I covered the Battle of the Books at our town library, and it was a lot of fun. I began to feel more comfortable about approaching people, partly because I was interviewing tweens, and people from the library who want the publicity. That part of reporting is difficult. Any of you have any interviewing tips??

I also wrote What Do You Like About Spring? about a certain exotic creature who has become synonymous with my little patch of land here in town.

I encourage you to check them both out, as well as the following reviews that have recently posted:

  • Mandy and Pandy Play Sports is a fun book designed to help kids learn Chinese. The giveaway is open through Sunday.
  • Carrie's giveaway of Bookish Board Games is also still open through Sunday. They look cute and fun, and playing a board game is a way that I love to connect with my kiddos.
  • I reviewed A Good Day board book (and a cute "If you give a Mouse" Easter board book"), and also waxed on about my love for board books in general.
  • And, though I don't think picture book reviewing is my strong suit, I also reviewed 3 other Spring Picture Books. I think I'm getting better at it, and since I've been receiving some unsolicited shipments, I'm glad I can do them justice.
  • I also finally posted a review for one of the Cybils' finalists that Amanda and I both loved. I highly recommend it to tweens and young teens: Written in Bone: Buried Lives of Jamestown and Colonial Maryland
  • Dana from Windows Wide Open wrote a great guest post for us On Reading called I Don't Forbid, I Discuss, about parenting her teens through reading. We are SO there right now. It's only going to get tougher as Amanda gets older.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

And following up on my last comment re: Patch - the Battle of the Books was fun to read about! You did an awesome job!