Monday, March 01, 2010

The Olympic Letdown

I never get into the Olympics big-time. I'm not a fanatic, but I watch it when it's on. I watch it, but I don't live and die by it. There aren't athletes that I watch in order to see if they can overcome their family tragedy or heart-breaking injury or upset.

That's why I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed it this year. I'm really going to miss it, and am having a bit of an Olympic Letdown. I think that one reason is that it's real family-friendly entertainment, so we can all watch together, and how much does that happen anymore? We spent the last few weekends watching together and listening to Kyle's exclamations of "cool!" and "all right!"

We most enjoyed curling, which after making fun of -- I was sort of pulled into. The downhill skiing literally made my heart pound with excitement.

But can I tell you what else I liked that is highly underrated? The commercials. During the Superbowl, that's all we hear about it -- commercials, commercials, commercials. But what about the fun, poignant, and encouraging spots that are produced specifically to honor Olympians? They honestly pull the broadcasts together with the theme, making it a great viewing experience.

Did you watch? Will you miss them? Do you prefer Winter or Summer Olympics?

Only two more years until summer in London. . . .

9 comments:

Carrie said...

Mental note: Do not go to London in two summers. (Not that that was actually an option on the table, but still!)

My family used to LOVE watching the Olympics together when I was growing up - for all the reasons you mentioned. We would have a chart on the wall and each pick a country to root for. (We all cheered for the good old US of A but then we were required to choose another country to follow on the side.) It was tons of fun. When my boys are old enough, I expect we'll do the same.

I definitely prefer the winter over the summer games. Ice skating is my favorite. But I didn't watch a single thing this year and, no, I didn't really feel like I missed anything.

Nancy said...

This is the first time we've watched as much of the Winter Games as we did and I attribute it to my 6 year old. We rarely watch TV after dinner, let alone all of us as a family, and it was nice having something we could all get into. I have normally preferred the Summer Olympics but really enjoyed the Vancouver Games.

Laura said...

I was completely anti Olympics going into it due to the fact that many schools are shutting down in this province of BC just to pay for them. But then I got sucked in with the figure skating, then the curling and hockey. The spirit of a nation coming together like the Canadians did for this Olympics is something else. It was all so very exciting!!

Lee @ foodieplus4 said...

I miss them already! It was so fun to watch with the kids. Loved the speed skating.

Lisa writes... said...

Love the winter olympics! Curling was fascinating for awhile but I much prefer the skiing, bobsled, skeleton, short track speed skating, pretty much everything BUT figure skating...

Windows Wide Open said...

And here I thought I was in SUCH a minority in my missing the Olympics. We've had a great time with them this year, too.
You are SO right about the commercials--so many of them were wondeful during the Olympics. Hmm...preference between winter/summer olympics...a tie, I think! I love many things about both.

~~

Windows Wide Open said...

By the way, I love your blog header--so bright n cheery!
~

Windows Wide Open said...

By the way, I love your blog header--so bright n cheery!
~

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

We watched a fair amount, but since we're not big TV people, we'd often forget about it until well into the evening. We all liked the curling. And my husband likes the speed skating, though it makes me nervous -- all I can think about is the potential for falling and getting sliced by someone's blade. I know -- I'm messed up! :)