Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Signs of Spring

As even Kyle is learning in Kindergarten, March is "in like a lion and out like a lamb." I've come to expect my own signs of spring that come along with turning the calendar page to March:

Unpredictable Weather

We've had some horrid and some quite nice weather over the last couple of weeks. The beginning of last week brought the first days that were pleasant enough to beacon us out of our little winter cave, but the end of last week brought cold rain. Today we had another day that almost reached 60. Kyle and I sat outside enjoying it, and I took part in my favorite pasttime -- enjoying beautiful weather and a good book simultaneously.

Spring Reading Thing

Speaking of books, I absolutely know it's Spring when Katrina hosts her Spring Reading Thing, and that time is here. If you've never joined in, it's a great way to connect with other readers. You link up your list of goals and can visit around as well. She's posting the master linky on Saturday.

I'm excited about it this year, because I have some interesting reading plans for the next couple of months.

Baseball

Terry's a baseball fan. He thinks that little boys who play baseball are cute. I think that baseball is sort of boring, and I also know that Little League takes a lot of time. Since Terry's job and commute does not get him home until well-past dark, I'm the one who handles weekday practices and games, and thinking of what baseball becomes after the age of 8 or 10 (a couple of loooong games and practices a week) has made me resistant.

But when one of his Kindergarten classmate's parents emailed us asking if any other boys were playing T-ball or baseball, and I found out that most of them were, and that there was a alternative to the dreaded T-ball that Amanda played when she was six (it was awful--seriously -- painstaking for me to watch), I bit the bullet and signed him up.

I do like organized sports: the scheduled exercise opportunities, the discipline and potential to develop skill, and I like how it gets us out in the community and helps us to get know other kids and families in the area.

So we'll see how it goes. I have to agree that he'll look cute, and for now the commitment is one I can handle -- one weekday practice and one Saturday game -- but for the first time we'll be juggling two sports when Amanda's Spring soccer starts. With both kids in school now, I know this is just the beginning of the juggling.

6 comments:

morninglight mama said...

Well, JAM didn't do T-ball, but that was more about his attention challenges at the time and the amount of "wait time" that was involved that he just didn't do well with. But, at 7, he started playing "machine pitch" and did that for two years, but now he's 9, and that means REAL Little League. His games don't start until April, but his coach called and wants to start practicing this week! I'm not sure what we're getting ourselves into, but we shall see!

Have fun with your spring athlete!

Martha said...

Good Luck! I always tell my friends to jut wait until all their kids are in school then things get very busy. We have a place for each child to be next Thursday at the same time and two of them are mandatory to have a parent there. I know Kyle will love playing and I can't wait to hear all about it!

Carrie said...

Hello, Official Soccer Mom! =D

I played softball when I was younger and LOVED it! Something tells me that my oldest is not going to be coordinated enough to get it together to play. He's more brainy and into computers and his motor skills don't seem to be very conducive to sports of ANY kind! (It's amazing. I always swore our children would play sports. But I can't fight against genetics!)

My youngest, on the other hand, is already practicing somersaults and I can see some t-ball in our future!!

I keep joking that both of our kids will be ready for some sport activities at the same time. And then let the juggling begin!

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

I also gave into to T-ball this year. It's one weekday practice and 1 Saturday game a week. Both my guys (5 & 6) should be on the same team. AND I signed up my husband to be an assistant coach. :) Hoping I can get out of those practices!

Lisa writes... said...

You forgot one of our favorite signs of spring: MARCH MADNESS!!!!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Baseball is just SO time-consuming -- too much so for us homebodies. No interest has been expressed in baseball in this house, which is okay with me. :) Just flag football and maybe some intramural soccer this spring.

That said, I look forward to seeing cute pictures of Kyle playing baseball.