Saturday, March 20, 2010

Spring Reading Thing 2010

How is that I am now planning for June. June?? Already?? As dismayed as I am over the passage of time, I will soldier on and reveal my list of books that I plan/hope/will try to read during Katrina's Spring Reading Thing.

For the remainder of MARCH, I'm trying to finish up some fiction:


APRIL

This excites me. I'm going to TRY to make this an all-nonfiction month. I always put nonfiction on the backburner, even though I always enjoy it while I'm reading it. I will include memoirs (which people other than me seem to unabashedly classify as nonfiction, whereas I think it toes the line. Not because I doubt the verity of the words on the page, but because most memoirs read to me more like fiction, although maybe that's just me -- so it's not going to be all dry and factual, since I reach for memoir as readily as I do novels).

I was all set to read (finally finally) Toxic Friends: The Antidote for Women Stuck in Complicated Friendships, after I asked my readers to tell me which nonfiction book they wanted me to read in March, but then I got this idea of devoting a month to nonfiction in April, so I needed to finish some novels in March.

So it's at the top of the list. I also ended up carrying over the memoir that I was really looking forward to reading

Audiobook:
I'm even sticking to the goal in this category, since I recently bought Columbine on sale at audible.com. I've heard that it's an excellent nonfiction book, and I think I'm really going to enjoy it.

Exceptions -- are books that I read to/with my kids.

I am curious to see if I will end up reading less this month, or maybe more (because I am pushing towards my goal?).

MAY--

I'd like to get around to reading The Book Thief, which I bought when I saw it on sale, but who knows?

I also might read a Hardy Boys book for the Children's Classics Mystery Challenge. I already met my goal (of 1 book over the 6 months!), but I might try for this one too.

Some novels sitting on my shelf:

Secret Daughter: A Novel
A Good Confession
North of Beautiful
As Young As We Feel

I will probably need to catch up on some review novels that are offered to me in April, and I'm sure I'll still be chewing on some of the nonfiction.

JUNE--

I'd actually like to make finishing all of that nonfiction sometime this Spring as a primary goal. So I'll probably focus on that, along with the fiction above, and any review copies that I have accepted. Seeing this list, I think that I will be careful about what I accept.

20 comments:

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Great approach! Non-fiction takes a little extra dedication for me, but some of the ones on your list look very enticing. I think you'll like The Book Thief. It took me a little while to get into, but then I was thoroughly absorbed.

Thanks for being part of SRT '10!

Nise' said...

I need more motivation to read non-fiction! Both The Book Thief and North of Beautiful are great books. Enjoy.

Lindsay said...

Looks like a great list! The book When Did I Get Like This? sounds really interesting!

Denise said...

Wow, you have a lot on your list. I think I would read more again if I could find a new series of books that I like! I read in a book club too but a lot of the time the books aren't ones I would have chosen myself, I'm trying to find books I like for reading in between the months. Good luck with all of yours :)

Lisa notes... said...

All-nonfiction month—that’s typical for me. I have to force myself to read fiction. Ha. Maybe I need to add an all-fiction month to my list! Thanks for sharing your list—you’ve got some interesting books ahead of you.

Ro said...

Interesting list! I haven't gotten the chance to read The Book Thief myself. I've heard good things about it.

I'm curious about Toxic Friends. Let us know how you like it.

Enjoy your Spring reading! :-)

Susanne said...

I'm a non-fiction back burner type of gal too. Great idea you have to devote one month to entirely non-fictions. I might have to steal that from ya. :v)

Veggiemomof2 said...

Another great non-fiction recommendation is For Parents Only: Getting in the head of your child by Shaunti Feldhahn & Lisa A Rice. I'm reading it now & it is like translating what kids do into something adults can understand. lol It's great & at 176 small pages, it's a short read.

Happy reading this spring!

Amber said...

I always push non-fiction to the back, too. I like your idea of dedicating a month of reading them!

Robin of My Two Blessings said...

Good for you. I have a tendency to avoid non fiction, even though there are some good books out there. Plan on reading a couple for SRT. Admire you for dedicating yourself to reading all Nonfiction. Look forward to hearing what you think. I get grumpy without my fiction.

Rana said...

Great list. Lord of the flies is one of my favorites. The book "When did I get like this?" Sounds like an interesting read. I will have to check that one out.

Happy Reading!

barbarah said...

I feel the same way about non-fiction. I enjoy it when I read it, but I don't gravitate toward it -- I have to make myself read it. Except biographies -- I get onto those more easily.

bigguysmama said...

Good for you with your non-fiction list! I'm the same way when it comes to memoirs. They are more like a novel to me!

~Mimi @ Woven by Words

Kim said...

First off...thanks for visiting my list!

Second...GREAT LIST! I'm going to have to check out the Children's Classics Mystery Challenge. I love mysteries and have always adored children's mysteries. We even have roughly the first 15 Hardy Boys. I might move some of those over onto my list. I read a lot with and to my son and I know he likes those...Guess I'm talking myself into it now! :)

Kim
The Misplaced Midwesterner

Gerri Beckerman said...

Wow! That's quite a list. How do you manage to fit all of this in, your blog, reading, kids, house, etc.
I am trying to figure out the best way to budget my time to work on my reading, writing, blogging, studying, working part time, trying to keep my house reasonably clean. I figuring one thing out, it does require burning the midnight oil.

Angel Borland said...

Wow! What a list!

Some of those nonfiction picks look really good - I may have to check some of them out myself!

I am listening to The Book Thief right now as an audiobook and so far it is pretty good! It is 13 hours long though, which feels like it may take forever!

Good luck!

detweilermom said...

I have The Book Thief in my TBR mountain but probably will not get around to it till later this year. Some of your nonfiction titles look interesting. I have been listening to alot more nonfiction since I became a reviewer form christianaudio.com. I seem to be able to get through nonfiction better if it is read to me and if the reader is a good one all the better.

Jenny said...

The Book Thief was one of my very favorite reads last year. If you can squeeze it in you won't regret it. I have alot of non-fiction on my list this time, which is off for me. Hope I can finish it all. Good luck on your list!

Gabriela said...

Great list! I like the idea of non-fiction month. Some of your titles look very interesting. I'm interested in the Toxic Friends book, let us know what you think.

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

I have The Book Thief here somewhere buried beneath the tbr rubble. Toxic Friends sounds like an interesting read. I'm in awe of your non-fiction month. It's a great idea!