Tuesday, April 20, 2010

What My Kids are Reading

We finished! We finished!! Amanda (age 11) and I have read the entire Mysterious Benedict Society series aloud -- over 1200 pages. We started a while back, but we did manage to read all 378 pages of this third book just under a month, which was our goal. I will never again shy away from reading a book aloud with her, just because it's long. Also, I can add my own recommendation to the long list of others who have enjoyed this book. So smart, clever, and lovely -- just lovely!

Anyway, that book is definitely on her list of the best books for the month (and mine), but there are others she can recommend as well. She read a couple of books by Neil Shusterman: Unwind and The Schwa was Here (great name, huh?)

As for Kyle, we've been enjoying a few books in the Looking Closely series. We had read a couple of them, and he loves them, and so I was thrilled to find out that a new one was out: Looking Closely around the Pond (review to come on 5 Minutes for Books). I just recommended this series to our town librarian, because they didn't have any in their collection. They are a great combination of highly readable books that contact a lot of information, for little minds who want to know.

We have also both thoroughly enjoyed the poetry book The Tighty Whitey Spider by Kenn Nesbitt. The link is to my full review which posted last week at 5 Minutes for Books.

You can find out what other kids are enjoying this month at the 5 Minutes for Books Kids' Picks carnival.

5 comments:

Lauren said...

I really need to read MBS. All these books sound great!

Carrie said...

Yes, Lauren....I'm going to stalk her down next.

SO glad you enjoyed the series. =D

I'm looking forward to taking a peek at these Looking Closely books myself! They sound wonderful.

AND today I received notice that the Toy book you keep recommending (and Lauren reviewed today) is on its way! Hurray! I can't wait to sink my teeth into that one.

morninglight mama said...

Yay- that's an impressive amount of out-loud reading!! And, I have to say that I LOVE the Schwa book title-- as a kid I used to say that word all the time, probably annoying everyone!

Nancy said...

I'm listening to the last MBS book, can't wait to find out what happens! I'm not thrilled with the narrator and put in a request for a print copy so if that comes in will switch over. I'll get through it faster too!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

I need to see if our library has any of the Looking Closely books -- they look good. And GREAT job on finishing the MBS series!! I only made it through the first one... though I really liked it, and should probably follow up with #s 2 and 3.