Monday, May 31, 2010

Mailbox Monday -- What I got at BEA


I'm jumping in to Mailbox Monday at The Printed Page for the first time this week. Carrie and I heard about this at the Book Blogger Convention at BEA, and she posted her list at 5 Minutes for Books, but I went right from BEA goodness to a family camping trip, so I decided to go ahead and put up a late post here about the review copies I got from BEA/Book Blogger Con.

However, we do plan on posting each week at 5 Minutes for Books. I think it will be fun.

I heard a lot of YA book buzz, and a good 1/3 of what I brought home was YA. I also picked up some interesting children's books, and a few novels/memoirs.

Young Adult:

Suite Scarlett (audiobook from Brilliance Audio) -- The author Maureen Johnson was our Book Blogger Con keynote speaker, and she was hilarious, so I can't wait to sample her fiction

I, Q by Roland Smith -- I picked this up at the Sleeping Bear Press booth. Carrie and I were sure to stop by to meet our contact, because we LOVE Sleeping Bear Press. I was surprised that they carried novels for kids/teens, and when I brought this one home, Amanda (my 11-year-old) was excited about it. I was actually so intrigued that I read it right away, and Amanda is halfway through it now. The second is coming out soon.

The Fat Boy Chronicles is another Sleeping Bear Press title. Looks very interesting.

Firelight by Sophie Jordan is a Fantasy novel that grabbed my interest when I heard her read from it.

Matched by Ally Condie is the book that most excites me. It doesn't come out until November, but it's more dystopian YA goodness.

Another huge score was a signed Rick Riordan audiobook copy of The Red Pyramid.

Fiction:

The Stuff that Never Happened by Maddie Dawson
Up from the Blue by Susan Henderson
A Curable Romantic by Joseph Skibell
Nemesis by Philip Roth

Memoir:

Promise Me by Nancy Brinker
The Bucolic Plague is an interesting book that is also going to be a Discovery TV show about some city guys who started a farm.
Summer at Tiffany's (which Carrie already read on the way home and loved)
Michael Chabon's Manhood for Amateurs

3 comments:

morninglight mama said...

These look great- I also have FAT BOY CHRONICLES- it was an unsolicited mailing, and it's on the list for some point in the near future. :)

So glad you guys had fun!!

planetnomad said...

Oh wow how FUN!!! Enjoy!

We just managed, through the kind ministrations of two friends, to get the last of the Percy Jackson books into our hot little hands. The entire family read the last two books in 3 days--that's 4 readers. Whew! Now the books are being passed around the expat community, where they are being devoured again and again.

Can't wait to hear what the new one's like!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

I was just looking at I,Q at Amazon.com today -- I'll look forward to seeing what you/Amanda think. My husband has enjoyed one or two of Chabon's books, though I don't think I've ever read any. And The Red Pyramid...thinking about that one for a summer read-aloud w/ my tween.

Looks like a great haul!