Tuesday, June 01, 2010

I Read It -- Brandilyn Collins

A while ago, Jessie from Blog Schmog wrote a guest post at 5 Minutes for Books called "How to Read a Brandilyn Collins Novel." This was not the first I've heard of Brandilyn Collins. Katrina and others have mentioned her work, and Collins is very active online, so she's always been on my "read someday" list.

Then right about the time we posted that column, Katrina let me know that Collins was offering two of her books on the Kindle for free! I quickly downloaded both of them.

I recently attended a Yankees baseball game with my family, and I wanted to bring some reading material (C'mon -- I'm not the only one who must be prepared with a book at such events, right?). Seriously, I was more concerned with the hour train ride. I don't think that I actually read during the game, but it's happened before. I love that my Kindle is so portable. It's much lighter and thinner than a book -- perfect for travel.

I read Dark Pursuit in just a day or two. Yes, suspense will do that to you -- you just HAVE to finish it.

I really enjoyed this book, and look forward to reading another. I don't know that I would call this one scary at all, but it's a good thriller. Darell Brooke is a bestselling author of suspense thrillers. A brain injury has left him unable to write. Kaitlyn is his granddaughter, long estranged. When she gets set up on a murder, she goes to him for help.

She's a Christian author, but the "Christian" theme is very light. What you DO get is a nice clean read with no bad language or perverted topics which seem to generally go along with the crime/suspense/thriller genre.

I've posted this to the I Read It! carnival at 5 Minutes for Books. Click over to read the other reviews as well, and join in the first Tuesday of every month.

5 comments:

Windows Wide Open said...

You are NOT the only one prepared with a book at such events--I'm never without a good book in my bag!

Thanks for mentioning this author; no perverted topics in such a genre would be refreshing sometimes!!

~~
http://mywindowswideopen.wordpress.com/

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

I've never read this author. Sounds like a light, refreshing read, maybe. (If you can call suspense/mystery/thriller novels that.)

Thanks for the review!

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I read that one too! I liked it.


Here is mine

Carrie said...

See, I hadn't heard of her until you mentioned her.

And if I had to attend a sports game, then yes, I'd probably also bring a book along!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Right there with you on books @ baseball games. I do enjoy Brandilyn's books, though I think all my Dean Koontz reading has spoiled me as far as "scariness" goes. BC's books, for me, are just enjoyable, suspenseful fun.